Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

MY98 rear brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2004, 04:47 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY98 rear brake upgrade?

What are the options for upgrade on rear 1 pot brakes for this? Any better calipers available? Any recommendation on discs, pads?

i 've just upgraded to Godspeed Brembo kit on the front, and want some more stopping power for the rear, but don't want to change the brake bias too much.

Thanks
Keigo
Old 30 April 2004, 07:01 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

TBH m8, it may not be worth your while doing.

I've Brembo/AP kit on the front & standard MY99 OE pads/calipers on the rears. I have never had any problem with this setup and this has been used extensively on trackdays, 2000+ miles with no problem. Set of pads generally lasts 3 track days, whereas fronts last 1 and a bit. Don't forget that most of your braking is done by the fronts and upgrading the rears may just unsettle the car.

Upgrade options are obviously different pads, STi twin-pot or I think some people have put WRX/STi twin-pots from the front on.
Old 30 April 2004, 10:37 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

PTMW,

Those people who used the front 2 pots on the rear, did they use larger discs as well? I'm thinking that the discs are easier to get hold of than the STI 2 pot callipers.
Old 01 May 2004, 08:50 AM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Are standard UK 2 pots convertable to the rear? Is it just a matter of taking the 1 pot and putting the front ones on? Could be interesting...
Old 01 May 2004, 09:11 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Keigo
Are standard UK 2 pots convertable to the rear? Is it just a matter of taking the 1 pot and putting the front ones on? Could be interesting...
I'm thinking that the calliper mounting holes may be different, which I will measure later. Thats not really my main concern. I'm thinking about the size of the pads,the original rear discs and the swept area all being wrong.

The 03 STI has 2 pot rears and larger discs as standard. The 2 pots are like rocking horse dung, but the discs arent. So, if I can get a pair of these discs, which I'm told by Ian Godney will fit the classic rear hubs, then it may be a goer!!