Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

MY02 UK Sti brakes

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2004, 10:48 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY02 UK Sti brakes

Having done a track day at Castle Coombe yesterday, I've got a couple of observations about the standard brake pads.

Firstly, they seem to be very soft. When I finished for the day, my wheels (front and back, although front were worse) were absolutely covered in brake dust.

Secondly, they don't last. I was getting brake fade after only a couple of laps.

I've now worn the pads out, and need to get them seen to as soon as possible. I gather (from another thread) that the pads subaru (main dealer) supply are very expensive / overpriced, and I'm a bit loathed to put them on given that they seem to underperform compared to other types.

So, what pads would you recommend for mostly road use but which will be good for an odd track day now and then (a couple a year usually), and that will fit the MY02 UK Sti Brembos?

Do I need to replace the discs as well?

Finally, any idea where I can get them from and have them fitted? (preferably in the south west as I'm based in Swindon)

Thanks,
Iain
Old 28 April 2004, 10:54 AM
crusher
Scooby Regular

pads ferodo ds 2500 good compromise front and back...Try Scoobymania or Alyn at Asperformance...As far as discs...there are many options,but replace them if worn or cracked...standard discs tend to be quite easy to wear out!...I had Godspeed 2 part discs on my old 99..they were excelent...

Last edited by crusher; 28 April 2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 28 April 2004, 10:59 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Ferodo DS2500 mail order from asperformance. Got mine on MY03 STi last year f+r for just over £200. Fitting is a DIY doddle, just make sure the callipers are cleaned of dust (I used a toothbrush to get down the sides) and copperslip the backs of the pads and shims to prevent squeal.

Only need to replace discs if worn beyond limits or warped. Ian Godney does some Alcon ones on bells if you're feeling rich.

Cheers, Diccy.