Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

EBC green pads = warped discs???

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2001, 01:35 AM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Put EBC greens on couple of months back, am now experiencing some major streering wheel judder when braking (motorway of course, isn't noticeable around town). Heard about one guy who put Pagid Blues on his scube and they warped his discs; has this happened to me???
Old 28 May 2001, 11:38 AM
rovo
Scooby Regular

Same happened to me, severe judder only when the discs where hot and braking from speeds above 90 km/h. I had the combination of EBC Greens with Tarox G88 (the ones with 40 or 44 grooves). Changed the discs and now use Ferodo DS 2000 pads and everything is oke. Can't stand brakes that don't work properly.
Old 28 May 2001, 04:09 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Red face

I put on EBC'Green about 3 months ago. I also now get steering wheel judder on a fast run when braking heavy, although think that the discs are prob just about done anyway. Did not appear until I fitted the Greens though.
Alasdair
Old 28 May 2001, 07:39 PM
rnr
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bryn i think David Blows in Beverly had a similar prob.If you go through the archives a couple of weeks it may help. Rich
Old 29 May 2001, 11:29 AM
YOUNG GED
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Bryn

I fitted greens and group N disks last year and within 3 months had the same problem as you.The disks were replaced under warrenty and the greens went in the bin and were replaced with Ferodo's and everything has been fine since.

Chris
Old 29 May 2001, 11:24 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I never suffered from warped discs all the time I used Greens, even on my standard discs.
I know they've recently changed the pad content, and recommend that discs are also upgraded.

Stef.
Old 30 May 2001, 10:42 AM
JCM76
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I recentley fitted some EBC greenstuff pads too, and in the last couple of days there has been a slight judder through the steering wheel when braking, but only lightly, under heavy braking they are ok.

Maybe it is a bad batch of pads or something. I am going to put the original pads back in and see what happens

James

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2001, 10:59 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I have greens on the blackbeast, and they seem ok under both light and heavy braking. Though I did have new discs fitted at same time as pads, so it's possible this might be the reason I don't have problems, or the fact that I've only had them on the car for a little while.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:29 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I have warped a set of standard discs and a set of Black Diamonds using EBC Greens. Mike from Scoobymania did say he'd find out about replacing the discs under warranty, but I haven't had time to get back to him. Might ask him what other pads he stocks at the same time, to avoid this problem in the future. The trouble is, I like the 'low dust' nature of the Greens, and AIUI Mintex 1155s aren't like that. Any other options that spring to mind?
Old 31 May 2001, 03:35 AM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Thanks for the replies guys! I am considering trying out the EBC drilled and grooved discs; at around £100 + vat for a pair they are cheaper than what I have been quoted at local dealer. I figure that if I get the discs to compliment the pads I should be OK???
Old 31 May 2001, 03:38 AM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Another thing...I don't seem to be reaping the benefits of the low dust accolade the EBC's have(allegedley). My wheels get fekkin filthy!!!
Old 31 May 2001, 01:40 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I used EBC greens with my standard disks. Disks went blue and crazed after a track session. However the disks are definitely on their way out anyway.

Now use Mintex 1155's with Tarox groved disks ~ very impressed.

Old 31 May 2001, 06:56 PM
Berkeley
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Using EBC greens, warped a set of Bremsport and a set of pagid both within 2 months - with light road use
Old 31 May 2001, 10:15 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Angry

just changed my discs due to warping.I have pagid blues on the front which had cracked pad material.I had them on the back as well but had to replace due to the pad comming off the metal plate ( i was well chuffed ) I wont be using these again and i havent done a track day at all just incase anyone was thinking.
Old 04 June 2001, 11:39 AM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Interesting thread...

As Rich (rnr) says, I've been experiencing judder under moderately hard (not severe) braking from 70/80mph since I fitted EBC greens to my 32,000 miles old (but perfectly OK) standard discs.

Town driving and the like is OK, although the pedal does feel soft compared with the original pads (though my memory may be playing tricks).

Advice was to give the EBCs a few hundred miles to see if they bedded in. Unfortunately not - juddder is still there and quite disconcerting.

Problem, of course, is what to do next? Stick with the EBCs and go for the EBC discs Bryn refers to (where did you get the price of £100 + Vat?), go for another combination, or go back to standard pads which I found to be quite OK.

The middle option ain't really an option - just can't afford it. And if EBC discs are only £100, is there any guarantee they'll be fine with these pads? And if I go back to standard pads, I'll still have to get new discs, presumably?

Shafted whichever way I turn... sounds like the cheaper option is EBC discs? Someone please tell me that's so - or tell me why it's a stupid idea.

Thanks

David Blows
Old 04 June 2001, 05:05 PM
Simon Graham
Scooby Regular

Is the wobble accompanied by a loud sort of droning noise as you get to about 30/40 from a 'motorway' speed. Scared the brown stuff out of me first time on a sliproad!

Considering the Greenstuff discs as the OE are nearly gone and they can't complain if they're warped by their own pads.
Old 04 June 2001, 07:10 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I had 4 pot ap calipers,Wilwood 310mm drilled discs and greens fitted on my Scoob a few months ago.On Saturday during some heavy motorway braking there was almighty judder and horrible noises.Up until then the brakes had not been stressed at all.(ie no teackdays etc)
Old 04 June 2001, 09:57 PM
Luke
BANNED

Any one from EBC able to comment. This problem should not be happening. On my car (Reds with turbo grooves) when it happens it can be a real problem as it causes a slight panic !!!
I got my stuff from "Seejock"(sounds like)
They couldnt really shine a light on why. If I had to brake very hard for the first time and I did not know it might happen I would really be worried..... Maybe it could cause an accident.
Old 04 June 2001, 11:38 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Guys, most people talk about pads when it's the discs that are the problem.

The standard set up works as it does because the pads and discs are balanced.

Unfortunately, standard brakes are not up to hard driving so most poeple (including me) fit hotter pads. This promptly bu99ers the discs.

The problem is that the discs are not capable of absorbing, and then dissipating, sufficient energy (heat). So they warp. The pads are designed to fade before this point to protect the discs.

Pads and discs should be upgraded together. I'd go for Prodrive, but they're costly. The best alternative that I've heard of is Scoobysport's Pagid disc/pad combo which is perhaps better value.

But be assured that if you go on track nothing less than the full Prodrive/Alcon, Brembo APR or full APR kits will reliably take the pace.

Richard.
Old 05 June 2001, 02:01 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Has anyone with both EBC pads and discs suffered this juddering problem?
If not, then I would suggest as Hoppy has, that it's the discs that are at fault.
Perhaps upgrading the discs to EBC's Turbo-Groove design would help?

Stef.
Old 05 June 2001, 02:32 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Stef's idea seems to make most sense... but can anyone suggest where to get the EBC turbo grooves from and give any idea how much they might cost (as that, sadly, is a REAL factor...).

David Blows
Old 06 June 2001, 07:57 AM
Luke
BANNED

Ran turbo groove discs and greens .Would some times have problems .Now red pads. Can still get problem,From memory pads £75.00 disks about £100.00 pair.
Old 06 June 2001, 09:42 AM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

David - I have recently priced the EBC discs; Larkspeed on Anlaby Rd sell them at £160 a pair ( I had seen them advertised "from £99" ), so I was mistaken at £100 + VAT. I haven't pursued this too far as I am considering upgrading my brakes to 4 pots.

However, Hoppy mentions that the discs aren't up to improved pads and thus pad performance and it is this that warps the disc, OK. BUT, the EBC greens are supposed to be alright for road use (I don't do track days), if any EBC pads were to knacker discs it should be reds and upwards, surely???