Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

APR 6pots how many miles until full power

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2001, 08:23 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Ive had my APR 6 pots on my scoob for 250 miles now and I am sure they arent working to the full potential as they seem only slighty better than the 4 pots how many miles do I have to cover before they work properly??
Old 18 May 2001, 10:07 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Jake, you are running in both pads and discs at the same point. This always takes longer to do, than just running in one or the other.

Dan

PS. When I ran in new discs and pads, I followed the normal bedding in period, then drove carefully for a couple of weeks.
Old 18 May 2001, 10:22 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jake, I had the AP 6 pot kit fitted to my turbo at the start of March. Its important to bed them in properly as I'm sure you know. Initially they do seem rather disappointing given all the really positive comments you read about them on here. Believe me, they do get better as you do the miles. After a few hundred miles I was thoroughly impressed with them and feel that they are worth every penny...and thats a lot of pennies

Mark
Old 18 May 2001, 10:33 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Jake

Also please bear in mind that the actual possession & use of AP6s does not in itself increase braking

The benefit of big disks comes from the reduction of fade inherent in the OE stuff. You will have increased feel,which is also important, & a slight increase in braking ability (once warm) but do not expect 50% or even 25% shorter stopping distances. However, you will be able to cruise the Milton Keynes roundabout system @ 70mph down to 0 within 50m all day

Also important is how you wear the disks/pads in. You should have got some instructions on this. Tedious but necessary.

As Dan says, running in both takes longer tho'..

Enjoy
Old 19 May 2001, 08:54 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Jake,

I also have 6-pots and after initial fitting was a bit disappointed, especially with pedal feel - even tho' my brakes were fitted diligently by a professional they needed bleeding after a couple of hundred miles - others have had this experience too - possibly bleeding 2-3 times in first couple thousand miles.

They are superb once bedded in - they inspire amazing confidence in the middle pedal!

R
Old 19 May 2001, 12:21 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys I guess I was expecting a lot from them at first (as you would spending 2k) but I guess I have be patient and cover some more miles driving like my mum.

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 19 May 2001).]
Old 19 May 2001, 03:13 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Had similar disappointment with my AP4's at first but they do get better.I do still think though that in everday driving you cannot tell much difference but repeated high speed braking is far superior.
ps make sure they have fitted braided steel hoses at the rear as well as the front for maximum pedal feel.

Trending Topics

Old 21 May 2001, 12:04 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Jza,

Ermm.... if you're braking hard enough to decelerate at 2km/sec then it's hardly daily driving is it?.

To brake that hard you need plenty of pedal pressure, and that is the way it should be. You really don't want a hugely over sensitive middle pedal as you won't be able to modulate your braking properly.

Some people seem to want to brush the middle pedal and stop on a dime, but this isn't the best setup for hard driving.

I don't agree with statements that the APs don't stop you any more quickly then the OEM brakes - I can now trigger ABS from very high speeds whereas the previous Subaru 4-pots didn't produce enough braking torque to lock the wheels at similar speeds, and faded during a single big stop!. Didn't Stef also discover that he was making about eight seconds at donnington over the OEM brakes?. This is with 304mm 4-pots, so the 330mm 6-pot setup is going to be even better.

In my opinion, there is no comparison...

Cheers,

Alex
Old 21 May 2001, 12:38 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Jza,
I cant comment until my brakes are bedded in fully but reading the sales blurb on the SS site did make me decide to buy AP 6's
Old 21 May 2001, 11:50 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I quote from Scoobysport website (comments on AP brakes):

Youve got the track day bug. You’ve got plenty of power, you’ve sorted the suspension out so more unsprung weight isn’t a problem and you’ve got some good 17” wheels.

" So you want the most powerful brakes available!! The braking torque from AP’s new 6 pot quite is unbelievable. In fact it is so good, that you will need 17” slicks to use these brakes to their full potential. In our tests, we have been able to lose over 2km/h per metre. This is brutal deceleration.

Forget brake fade, it doesn’t exist.

We wanted the most powerful brakes available, AP wanted feedback from extreme use conditions. We were all very pleased with the results. AP’s new 6 pot calliper kit is quite incredible.

The leverage is so extreme that even as a driver, it takes some getting used to. For passengers, it is a scary experience. You can leave the braking so late, that passengers will try to dent the footwell !!"

So
those people who say they dont notice much difference i ask you this.

Is Pete Croney using a sales pitch, or could it be that you lot have badly set up brakes or are bullsh1tting?

Seems a huge gulf between the blurb and your experiences. It talks about "In our tests, we have been able to lose over 2km/h per metre. This is brutal deceleration." Now that doesnt sound like "that in everday driving you cannot tell much difference"

Whats going on????

Are they better or not?

Does Pete Croney have any comments?

Jza

[This message has been edited by Jza (edited 21 May 2001).]
Old 21 May 2001, 11:51 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Soz - reprinted message!

[This message has been edited by Jza (edited 21 May 2001).]
Old 21 May 2001, 01:18 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

At Donington I was able to stay out for the full thirty minutes of each session which is a testement to the AP 6 pots (and the Link making my engine run nicely ). In this time the pedal went very slightly softer but the braking force, lap after lap was awesome.

It takes some time to get used to how late you can brake, in fact on a busy circuit it is hard to do it as so many cars around you brake so much earlier and you have to back off. Best bit is down the back straight and braking very hard and very late into Goddards - you can brake so late you can get a much high top speed here, same on the pit straight into Redgate.

Interesting about the ABS tho' - if anything I find it harder to trigger the ABS, even tho' I am stopping a lot faster.

So on track, Pete is telling the whole truth, on the road, it's closer but the APs are still massively confidence inspiring.

R
Old 21 May 2001, 01:31 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify - i think that the AP brakes SHOULD be awesome like Pete says they are. Why spend £1500 on something thats only an improvement on the standard 4 pots?

I WANT to be able to break really hard and scare my passengers!!!

I just find it hard to believe that some of these threads seem to say it "hardly makes any difference" in normal driving. I cant beleive thats true!!

So - again - could this be a set-up problem?
Read about a group buy by the way - see General Section

Jza
Old 21 May 2001, 02:06 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

The difference is really in the control you have over the brakes and it really takes some getting used to in these days of cars with heavily assisted brakes.

I was disappointed with my Prodrive/Alcons at first, until I figured out there was a whole new level of options to use.

Start off with light pressure and you get light braking, apply more pressure and you get more brakes, more pressure again etc etc until you get to the "whack the passenger's face on the windscreen" braking - something the OE brakes never achieved

To do these things justice, you need to retrain your right foot!!

After a session at Donington (like Rannoch - I could stay out 30 mins straight, with no fade) I've learnt a lot more about being progressive on and off the brakes.

Still more to learn though, roll on Bedford
Old 21 May 2001, 05:18 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>

To do these things justice, you need to retrain your right foot!!

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers Kryten - thats kinda what i thought. I guess you use the breaks with the same pressure as before and they dont break as much (if you get my drift) - its only when you nail the peddle really hard do they really BREAK!!!! Theres much more feel!!!

Anyone else found this?

Jza
Old 26 May 2001, 09:41 AM
Si James
Scooby Regular

Red face

Yup.
I agree with Kryten.

I am now leaving it till the last bar on the slow down stripes on roundabouts till braking.

I did a test stop between to telegraph poled the other day, standing on the brakes for 90mph.

I only got halfway to the next pole.

I then repeated it from 100, and 110.
Again and again.

No fade at all.

I has done wonders for my confidence.

Simon

Old 26 May 2001, 10:04 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Talking

Si,

I agree with your view of capability - I also have 6 pots - just keep an eye in the rear view as Nova Boy plays Shuey and tries to outbrake you - suddenly your boot is full of GM Junk

Trout
Old 26 May 2001, 11:40 AM
Si James
Scooby Regular

Agreed.

I wondered what that Nova steering wheel was
doing in my ask tray !

LOL

Si