Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New Rear Tyres for MY 01

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2004, 11:01 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rear Tyres for MY 01

I'm not tight for money but I hate being taken for a ride.

My car is having its 20K service today and the rears need replacing. (approaching 2 mill tread but I've had a good run out of em). Not impressed with the dealer quote of 170 each and I don't even know what tyres these would have been so I'll sort myself out.

I have pretty much a standard spec. Yes I know it's boring but I'm waiting for warranty to run out ! Obviously 20K in two years suggests I don't do much motoring. A lot of fairly short blasts and the odd 200 mile tonk and only speeding in the right places, apart from the odd pose under extreme provocation (normally I let the w*nkers go safe in the knowledge that I have the faster car).

I used to use P6000s on my Primera GT which (performance aside) handled about as close to the Prezzy as any other car I've driven. Would a full set of four do me nicely or do you have any better suggestions for me ?
Old 19 April 2004, 01:07 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had a Primera SRI! Had WRX MY01 since March -front tyres are Bridgeston Potenza and back is Goodyear Eagle F1. All I can say is Goodyears are widely and highly recommended, whereas Bridgeston's are apparently prone to tramlining. I can vouch for this; the front end is all over the place and on bad rutted roads the wheels have a mind of their own. For now, I am going to try swopping the fronts for the backs to see if it improves things. As to good deal on Goodyear F1 GS-03, do a search on tyre fitting and you should get a site called 'black circles' who are doing each tyre fully fitted for £103 at a range of convenient fitting centres. You could call them on 0845 200 0022.