Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

urgent advice please - 2 pot to 4 pot upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2001, 02:11 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a set of 4 pots with disks and pads etc. and am planning to fit them to a MY95 WRX that currently has 2 pots. Is there anything special I need to know, a special bleed sequence etc. or is it simply a case of 2 off and 4 on ? What size are the bolts used to secure the calipers ?

The pads on the 2 pots have about 1mm left on them so I need to get the job done quickly. would appreciate advice from anyone who has done this before.

Thanks

Ken
Old 29 April 2001, 03:59 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ken no problems at all mate providing you have the appropreate wheels fitted, ive done about four sets now and they are straight one for one swops,the only other thing i have recommended was replace the fluid at the same time for dot 5 stuff,and if you are feeling lavish go for the braided hoses as well,the caliper securing bolts i think are 19mm or 17mm socket size,just make sure the bleed nipples are free on the four pots before you start to strip your car down,should only take a hour or two go for it..

[This message has been edited by ROBERT BARNES (edited 29 April 2001).]
Old 29 April 2001, 04:15 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Robert

Thanks, this is the answer I was hoping for !! I'll get them done in the next day or so, will probably wait until service time to have the fluid replaced, 4k to go to 60k service so not too long. I think I'll get a major improvement in stopping power already, and this will keep me going until then.

Ken

Old 29 April 2001, 04:39 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

glad to be of service and good luck
Old 29 April 2001, 06:42 PM
ALANB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ken,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I did this on a '96 STi, and the 4-pots didn't fit underneath the standard wheels, they were too tight.
I got some second-hand UK wheels and the offset is OK on them.
For added expense the wheel nuts fit the UK wheels but look completly stupid.
So, if you have put some 17-inchers on don't worry but if you have the OEM jobbies you need to dip into the purse.
Old 30 April 2001, 01:11 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Alan

Thanks, I have just fitted 16" wheels off a MY00 UK car which already had four pots on before they were removed so I think I should be OK.

As for the nuts, I wasn't aware that there was a difference but did notice the nuts were a bit worn looking - chrome bits gone black etc. so was thinking of getting some new ones at some point. Wheels seem to stay on for now anyway so it can wait a few weeks.

Changing the brakes tonight so will let you know how I get on. I'll have a closer look at those nuts too !!

Ken
Old 01 May 2001, 12:38 AM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Hi Ken,

I put 4 pots on my MY93 WRX last year (and took them off again, when i sold the car )

Just make sure the bleed nipples are at the top of the caliper, if they are at the bottom youv'e put them on the wrong side (like i did )

Phil.

Trending Topics

Old 01 May 2001, 12:56 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Phil

Thanks for the tip.

I was lucky that they were all well labelled up when I got them showing which side and direction of rotation for discs.

Fitted them last night, took an hour or so. The old discs and pads are totally dead so it's a good thing I got it done.

Brakes don't feel as good as I thought they would, I think they need another bleed - was a bit difficult on my own, not possible to lock up the nipple and hold the pedal down at the same time, particularly n/s, as I don't have go go gadget arms !

Will try again tonight with brother on the pedal.

Thanks to all for help and advice.

Ken