Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

EBC Pads for Alcon Callipers

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2001, 09:50 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anybody tell me if EBC make a pad to fit the callipers supplied with the Prodrive 330mm conversion? Alternatively, can anybody tell me what the model of calliper is? I understand from Demon Tweeks that EBC do a range of pads for Alcons but they need a bit more info (understandably) before they can say for definite whether or not there is one available to fit the Prodrive conversion. Thanks for any help.

Raymond.
Old 21 March 2001, 09:59 AM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi there,

I don't have any info for you but I too would be interested as to which alternatives are available to DS2000/3000 pads for the Alcon/Prodrive 330m brake kit.

I am pretty sure the Caliper is not specifically cast for Prodrive (this would be hugely expensive - so its probably a out of the standard Alcon range) so there should be other options.

Don't get me wrong, The DS range of pads are very very good and I continue to use them, but it would be nice to know that a range is available to suit peoples tastes and preferences.

I will watch this thread with interest.

Ian.
Old 22 March 2001, 09:31 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Call Mark at Tyres Northampton on 01604 588599 and they'll find out for you.

Stef.
Old 24 March 2001, 04:35 PM
simonburton
Scooby Regular

I changed my DS2000's to some special 4003 pads (also Ferodo). These were recommended and supplied by Graham at TSL (0115 937 7200).

They are quite superb and don't cake the wheels in brake dust like some of the DS3000's were.

simon
Old 26 March 2001, 02:31 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies gents. I spoke to Mark and Elvis at Tyres Northampton (cheers Stef) and found that EBC actually list their full range of pads for these callipers in their catalogue but they won't be available for a couple of weeks or so yet. I'll be at the front of the queue for a set

Raymond.
Old 26 March 2001, 08:15 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Any idea of prices ??

[EBC actually list their full range of pads for these callipers in their catalogue but they won't be available for a couple of weeks or so yet. I'll be at the front of the queue for a set

Raymond.[/B][/QUOTE]

Old 27 March 2001, 08:42 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Russell,

Don't know yet but EBC prices are generally very competitive. As an update to my last posting, while the pads are listed in the EBC catalogue our brakes are not listed as an application. Apparently TN noticed that they are a perfect fit but EBC have not realised this so don't list them. I believe that they also fit AP's with a slight mod to the metal of the pad. Also, Greenstuff are recommended rather than Redstuff for road use (I'm not interested in taking my car onto a track) with the bigger brakes but Demon Tweeks recommend Redstuff for the standard offering. I suppose that the difference is down to the bigger pad area that we have with the added bonus that Greenstuff are cheaper. I hope that this makes sense but you can always call TN (phone no. above) for clarification. Once I get these pads I can think about spending £200 having my wheels refurbished. As far as I know I have DS2000 fitted at the moment but cleaning the muck off is still a nightmare, especially after it has been raining (which it usually does in this part of the world ) Cheers.

Raymond.

PS:Love the P1 - the poster from Japanese Performance is now on my office wall
Old 25 April 2001, 01:26 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Just to bring this topic up to date........I discovered about 3 weeks ago that I actually had the dreaded DS3000 pads rather than the DS2000's that I thought I had and that the discs were worn to their limit - on the insides of them you could see the grooves but not feel them and this after only 4000 miles of mainly town driving. The discs and pads (2000's this time) were replaced by Prodrive and after 2 weeks use I find that there is far less dust and that it washes off easily enough. All I have to do now is replace the 2 knackered wheels on the front (the cost of refurbishing all 4 [to keep the colour the same] is almost as much as buying 2 new wheels). However, at least I have established that EBC pads are available from Tyres Northampton for the Alcons and I still have a notion to try them sometime just for comparison.

Raymond.

[This message has been edited by RaymondH (edited 25 April 2001).]
Old 25 April 2001, 02:52 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Raymond - how did you find out you've got DS3000 pads? Is it a part number?

I'm interested to check, as the dealer wasn't sure.....
Old 29 April 2001, 08:10 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Kryten,

Sorry for the delay replying...........I took a pad out and DS3000 was printed on the back of it. The DS2000's didn't have the grade but instead had a number which I took to be the Prodrive part number. Cheers.

Raymond.