Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Strange warbling noise...

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2001, 09:28 AM
BryanC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Noticed on a drive up the M11 / A14 / A1 last night, then when braking continuously down from high speed, the brakes were making this strange low warbling noise...

No noticeable degredation in braking performance, it was just a little disconcerting.

Anyone got any ideas what it might be?

I only had the 7.5K service on Thursday last week - so surely anything weird would have been spotted?

It's a P1 in case it makes any difference to anyone's answer, and the brakes are the stock ones, not the Prodrive....
Old 05 April 2001, 10:21 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

hi
i have had the same probs with my scoob fitted with new 4 pots about 5k ago, they work fine, just a strange noise when braking reasonably hard from about 100 mph, but they are fine at low speeds, i have mintex 1144 pads
mark
Old 05 April 2001, 11:51 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had this happen on mine about 2 yrs ago. Braking from about 135ish (Not on public roads) I got this 'warbble' effect. Not done it since! Don't know what it was probably the disk heating outside it's operating temperature and warping.
Old 06 April 2001, 02:54 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

had this last year after the Belgium trip, where braking from VERY high speeds was the norm, have since changed discs, but can only assume that the old ones were well warped....
Old 08 April 2001, 05:06 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Have a close look at the surface of your discs.You may find there are lots of tiny stress cracks which are only just visible.

What happens is that as the discs heat up the surface of the disc expands more near the cracks so the surface is no longer flat and a warbling noise is produced.They still work OK but it is normally a sign that your discs are nearing the end of their life.The Standard Subaru discs are the worst I've ever seen for this.

By the way the standard Subaru discs are so prone to cracking that a lot of people have had them replaced under warranty.Your dealer might have not mentioned it for fear of a warranty claim.If they are showing signs of cracking at that mileage take it back and complain.

Then again it might be something completly different

Andy

[This message has been edited by AndyMc (edited 08 April 2001).]
Old 08 April 2001, 08:08 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi,

My Subaru OEM disks did this too - I also noted that there were blue spots on the disks where localised hotspots had caused the thermaly induced thickness variation that causes this noise and vibration.

I can only conclude that the OEM disks are rubbish!.

Cheers,

Alex