Run-in for new tyres? Toyo T1-S/bumpsteer

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2001, 11:11 PM
RobScreene
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,
I just replaced the 205/50 VR16 Bridgstone RE010's with some Toyo T1-S.

At the same time I had a geometry/bumpsteer done at Powerstation, I opted for the track day settings over the standard.

The journey home was interesting. High speed weaving had the back feeling very lively. That was at about 15 miles.

I've now done 100 miles and I still don't think the absolute dry grip is as good as the OE bridgestones at the end of their life. Admittedly the fronts were almost illegal down to about 1.5mm and not particularly brilliant in the wet.

I noticed Powerstation set 33psi/31psi front/back. Could this could account for why the back was a little lively? Yesterday, hard braking in a straight line from 70-ish had the car fidget at the back, needing a minor steering correction. It never did that before.

I'll drop it to 33/28 and see.

Perhaps it's just the front end grip being improved that the back is sliding and squealing a bit more, but I doubt it somehow.

I think I'd want a real quiet road with a bit of run-off before I find out what happens at the limit.

Or perhaps it's the Toyos not bedded in properly yet?

Your comments appreciated.

cheers,
Rob.
Old 02 April 2001, 11:34 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Rob

I experienced exactly the same thing when I got my bumpsteer/16" T1-S/ALK done last November.

I too went from 3mm tread to the 8mm tread.
Car took a few hundred miles to settle down and feels fine now.
If you look at my posts around November I was unhappy with the car's back end weaving around.
Completely happy now though...
I found with the bumpsteer mod that for the first few days I was dialing in too much steering. When I re-programmed my brain I started to enjoy the sharper response of the front end
Oh..I'm running pressures 34(f)/30(r).

Cheers
Pete
Old 03 April 2001, 01:12 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

I think you have to run in your new tyres, and more important get used to the zero bumbsteering.
I used too much dial in steering the first week or so, and when you do this the back are getting a bit lively.
Smooth steering is more important with zero Bumbsteering than on the standard set up,as the car is a bit more aggrassiv.
If you change from 33-31 to 33-28 you will get a more lively back.

Old discussion, but on road tyre, dry weather, less pressure = less grip ( within normal pressure range)
Regards Lars