Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Breaks for Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2001, 10:28 PM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently upgraded my brakes to Group N Pagid cut discs and fast road Pagid pads. They also bled the brakes and put fresh dot 4 fluid in (they didn’t use 5 as apparently the system has to be purged). The car is due to go to the Nurburgring in a few weeks which is obviously up and down some serious hills. Anyway to my disappointment after about eight minutes of hard driving I got some bad fade and then sponginess especially after going down a hill at 115mph and then braking. At first I was pissed about the pads but in all fairness they had been fairly consistent with only a bit of fade till the hydraulics overheated. My questions are thus; should I take some competition pads for the ring rather than using a compromise road/race pad? Obviously I need a higher dot fluid but surely that will take the discs to the limit of warping/cracking or should group N discs be up to it? I have an STI type RA which does have some brake cooling ducting but are there hoses/brackets available to direct airflow more efficiently to the calliper/disc? Are there people who have designed their own ducting systems? I feel the pads/discs should be up to it if only they can cool a bit more between braking zones. In addition I do realise that a big brake upgrade will cure all my problems, but it is not an option at the moment!

[This message has been edited by Sieze (edited 18 March 2001).]- sorry about the spelling!

[This message has been edited by Sieze (edited 18 March 2001).]