Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Seized top pin on sliding 2 pot

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2001, 05:17 AM
Alex Clydesdale
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive just bought new Pagid disks and fast road pads all round for my MY94 WRX/STi, its standard caliper on the front is the twin potted sliding/floating kind (with both pots on the inside)problem is, the top pin (which i guess is supposed to slide back and forth inside the part of the caliper closest to the hub) is seized on both sides. The outer part of the caliper does hinge up (allowing pads to be changed without the seizing being noticed?) but this hinging is happening inside the part of caliper with the pots in it!
Ive tried turning the pins hex heads that are under the rubber seals but its well and truly solid! tryed working in WD40 and chapping it lightly in either direction ect, but it looks like nothing less than a stilson wrench or a large hammer will crack the seize
Anyone got any ideas before i have to resort to this? and maybe what parts ill need to sort it?
Cheers for any advice!
Alex.
Old 07 March 2001, 10:32 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Alex,

You don't (IMHO) need to remove the sliding pins to change the pads, just drop the whole caliper off the upright by unbolting the 2 17mm bolts top and bottom, you'll probably need to so this to change the discs anyway.

If you get desparate I have a couple of 2 pot calipers in pretty good nick off my MY98.

Andrew...
Old 07 March 2001, 01:01 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The calliper must be able to slide on the pins, or the brake pressure will not be distributed evenly on each side of the disc.

If soaking and rotating will not free it, I have some spare early callipers which you can have FOC.

Give me a ring if you are stuck.
Old 08 March 2001, 05:32 AM
Alex Clydesdale
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, Thanks for all the replies and offers of working calipers!
The offending parts are soaking in penetrating oil just now, and ill try chapping it through tommorow, ill get in touch if I need to take you up on one of those offers.
Thanks again,
Alex.