Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Cracked Disks at 17k. Cheap brake upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2001, 01:13 PM
AndyBrady
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite long.

My car has just had it's 22.5k service at 17k and my dealer has told me that my front disks are cracked and that the front pads have about 3000 miles on them. He suggests replacing the disks under warranty and the pads with new standard pads (approx £97).

I asked about upgrading the pads to the Prodrive DS2000's but he said that the DS2000's would invalidate any warranty claims on the new std disks.

I also asked about upgrading both the disks and pads but he said that I would need to foot the entire cost.

Questions:

1) How much are the Prodrive DS2000s?

2) Is it correct that the standard disks are not covered when used with other pads (in particular Prodrive DS2000s)?

3) How much would it cost to upgrade to the Prodrive front disks and pads? Or do I need to go for the full brake kit? If so how much does the Prodrive brake upgrade cost?

4) Do I need to make any changes to the rear brake setup if I upgrade the front?

5) Would a Scoobysport or Scoobymania upgrade (disk/pad only) be more cost/performance effective than the Prodrive?

6) Should my dealer be able to offset the cost of the warranty replacement disks against the upgraded brakes or, at least offset the labour cost?

I am leaning towards the cheaper solutions. As far as I can see, my options, in order of improving performance are:

1) Warranty replace of std front disks and I buy standard pads. Cost £97. No performance improvment.

2) Warranty replace of std front disks and I buy DS2000s. Cost ??? >£97 and loss of warranty on front brakes. Some performance improvement

3a) Replace front disks and brakes with (eg) Scoobysport Pagid GpN+ 4 pot disk/pad kit. Cost £470 + fitting. Considerable performnace improvement.

3b) Replace front disks and brakes with Prodrive disk/pad kit. Cost ??? >£470 + fitting. Considerable performance improvement.

4a) Brembo-AP 305mm kit from Scoobysport (or other equivalent). Cost £1510 + fitting. Best pay more attention to the people behind when the anchors are on - kind of performance.

4b) Prodrive brake kit upgrade. Cost ??? >£1510 + fitting. Best pay more attention to the people behind when the anchors are on - kind of performance.

Any (preferabley non-technical) comments, answers appreciated.

Andy

Old 05 February 2001, 01:46 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Andy.
It really depends on what use the brakes get. If it's just road use then spending £1500 or so, whilst effective, can be hard to justify.
The dealer and/or Prodrive upgrades are clearly fairly expensive considering what you are getting, but you do get the continuation of the official warranty.
The other option of fitting non-dealer parts is very popular, and there are dozens of options available. GpN Discs and pads, fast road pads, etc, etc. The list is endless.
One of the best combinations I have ever used on road is the EBC upgrade, using Green Stuff pads and their Turbo-Groove discs. Total cost (fitted) of this would be about £250-£300 and I have yet to find a better pad on the road though you can get fade if you really, really, push it. I only managed it once, and I was, really, really, pushing it!
It's all very much down to your driving style and budget, but for that money it's hard to go wrong really.

Stef.
Old 05 February 2001, 01:50 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

andy,

some answers that might help, here goes
1) £140
2) had no problem with ds2000s & dealer replacing cracked / warped discs, recomended subaru upgrade so they can't complain other pads will give them a reason not to pay out though
3)prodrive discs aprox £150 each (i think)
4) ds2000 rears? (£80 ish)
5) cost, maybe a little , performance I would expect about the same imho (I have only used ds2000's thou)
6)One dealer I used would not, found an other one how let me pay the difference on 1st visit to him

I have just plumped for the alcon kit with ds2000s, paid £1500 - 10% discount + £100 to fit. Only been on the car for a few days so at the early stage of bedding in. For posers, it looks the dogs bits thou

Changed from ds2000's & prodrive pgrade discs, this was fine for the road but my prolonged braking from speed eventually caused the discs to warp. I am revising my braking marks, later & harder, to hopefully create more braking force but less heat & spending a lot of time bedding in to instructions.

hope the above helps
simon
Old 05 February 2001, 03:32 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Andy

The Scoobysport Gp N+ kit for your car is £400+vat and includes 4 Goodridge brakes and 1 litre of Silkolene Pro Race brake fluid.
Old 05 February 2001, 03:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Andy
I have been lookin' into this for a little while and i had problems with my disks warping @ 17.5K (MY99).
Dealer did the disks under warranty, pads cost me £ 90.00 (ish) inc fitting.

I will probably go for the EBC disk and pad conversion. I have been quoted £ 230.00 inc pads and fitting + VAT.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 05 February 2001).]
Old 05 February 2001, 07:53 PM
Luke
BANNED

Try E.B.C as mentioned above. But make sure you take it a bit easy for first 3k miles.
Mine warped. BUT E.B.C changed them with no worries. head man there says this can happen. As many makes of disks are not heat treated first . so you will be doing it !!

Phone E.B.C and ask who is the dealer just off kilburn high road >london .very cheap. can arrange fitting.

Luke
Old 05 February 2001, 11:38 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Take it easy for 3K miles !!!! You have got to be wrong / kidding surely !

It takes me nearly 2 months to do that many miles, and I do a track day a month. 3K miles would be impossible.

I thought you should run for 300 miles then bed them in ?
Old 06 February 2001, 05:16 PM
Milky
Scooby Regular

I've just fitted new discs and pads, and been advised by various sources 150-200 miles before bedding.

Only another 130->180 to go.....

Darren.
Old 06 February 2001, 10:29 PM
Luke
BANNED

Well thats what the guy told me.....
What I ment by easy is no full on track days.

But if thats crap then so be it!!

Luke

Still reccomend them though