Brake upgrade on standard turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2001, 05:35 PM
mjr
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

After a few track days, a lot of close not stopping occasions and now very spongey breaks I'm looking to upgrade my brakes for track days under the following criteria.
1. Cheap as possible
2. Won't damage, or have other implications to my car
3. In a way I can drive my lease car with the standard breaks for every day use (insurance and servicing needs)
4. Just bought spare 16" wheels for track days so breaks have to fit inside these.

The most logical idea I've heard is to uprate the pads, just for track days and return the normal pads for road use, thus not knackering the disks too much, keeping it cheap, but gaining advantage. If this is the best idea what should I go for?

Any advice is gladly welcome.

Cheers
Old 05 February 2001, 05:42 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

MJR, yep try upgrading the pads to something like a DS2000. If your discs have had it, then also try upgrading to a group N disc.

Dan
Old 05 February 2001, 05:56 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mjr

You don't mention what year your car is ... it will make a difference to what I suggest.
Old 05 February 2001, 06:24 PM
P
Scooby Regular

MJR

I put Mintex 1155 pads on my MY00 before Donington last month and was very impressed with the improvement over the std pads.

Cost is cheap, got them from Falkland, £66+VAT I think.

I also had my dealer replace the fluid with higher grade stuff, Silkoline but can't rember what exactly (done by Cheam Motors)

Others have said that in time the harder pads will wear the discs out quicker but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Matt
Old 05 February 2001, 08:18 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Guys Guys Guys

There's no point him ugrading pads etc etc unless he's got the 4 pot brakes and vented rear disks, I know I've been there, flogging a dead donkey etc

Honestly you need to know what he's got at the moment before you can suggest any upgrades ...
Old 06 February 2001, 01:02 PM
mjr
Scooby Newbie

Sorry, your quite right, I've got a cy 2000 turbo, which has 4 pots on the front, and I think 2 pots on the back (can someone explain what this means?)

If I proceed with changing the pads can someone give me some pointers as to how to go about changing the pads, as I'll be the one doing it before and after track days. Some one told me there is no Haynes manual, but obviously I'd like to get it right before I get on the track (bad way to find out I've done it wrong!!). Also some advice on how to change break fluid, and check whatever needs checking would also be very gratefully rec'd.

I understand disk wear will be greater with upgraded pads, but they should last a couple more services on the proposed shouldn't they? (I think the lease company might get a bit suspicious if I need new brakes at 20,000 miles - so far I've done 8K)

Cheers
Old 06 February 2001, 01:03 PM
mjr
Scooby Newbie

Sorry, your quite right, I've got a cy 2000 turbo, which has 4 pots on the front, and I think 2 pots on the back (can someone explain what this means?)

If I proceed with changing the pads can someone give me some pointers as to how to go about changing the pads, as I'll be the one doing it before and after track days. Some one told me there is no Haynes manual, but obviously I'd like to get it right before I get on the track (bad way to find out I've done it wrong!!). Also some advice on how to change break fluid, and check whatever needs checking would also be very gratefully rec'd.

I understand disk wear will be greater with upgraded pads, but they should last a couple more services on the proposed shouldn't they? (I think the lease company might get a bit suspicious if I need new brakes at 20,000 miles - so far I've done 8K)

Cheers