Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

P1 18" Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2001, 10:53 AM
Olaf
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be gentle with me - 1st posting anywhere.

Has anyone had the 18" wheel upgrade on a P1? Do they really make a difference? Love the car, but think it understeers too much, particularly in the wet. I'm thinking of changing the wheels, but the price makes my eyes water - don't want to make an expensive mistake.
Old 24 January 2001, 11:24 AM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Go to Powerstation in Cheltenham and have the bumpsteer/alignment done.
Old 24 January 2001, 01:59 PM
davy b
Scooby Regular

Cool

I WENT FOR THE P1 18" UP GRADE WHEEL,IT IS WORTH THE MONEY AND THE CAR HANDLES BETTER.ALSO I FIND THE RIDE BETTER WITH THE 18" WHEELS, I WENT FOR THE GREY RIMS BUT ENDED UP GETTING THEM PAINTED GOLD WHICH LOOKS LOADS BETTER. WELL WORTH BUYING.
Old 24 January 2001, 04:00 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

My 18's are going on this weekend, and i can't wait!!!!
General blurb is they improve handling and ride etc. Plus, they look much better.
Old 24 January 2001, 04:44 PM
Richard Groves
Scooby Regular

Hi Olaf,

I have 18in wheels on my P1 and I think the ride does improve slightly. I changed because I wanted more grip and the car now feels so much more soild at the front. The only thing I have found is the car is a bit slower than on 17in wheels and feels a bit heavier.As for the rain I feel a lot happier with these wheels on I assume it is because the car is heavier but I may be wrong.

Richard
Old 24 January 2001, 09:15 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have to ask the question. How do 18" wheels make your car heavier (other than by a few kg's max.). Since the car has 220 BHP/ton power output, then a few kg's will not be noticable. Also, I find the car reasonably difficult to oversteer if driven sanely (even in the wet), after all a bit of driver skill to tweak all the grip to avoid sliding is half the fun.

Perhaps I'm just a tame driver.
Old 24 January 2001, 09:45 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Olaf, get them - you'll be pleased with them.

Make it gold though, otherwise people won't notice the difference.

Regards
Kurt
Old 24 January 2001, 09:45 PM
Rich Groves
Scooby Regular

Hi Tyson,

Going from a normal turbo to a P1 I found the main problem is how much lighter the car feels.I feel a lot happier with 18in wheels as it feel more soild but thats my view.

If you find the car hard to over steer in the wet do mean understeer.I think the problems with understeer in wet would be cured with bigger wheels for Olaf and the my car did understeer in wet but it is controlable.I think that the P1 has a floaty sort of affect due to damping which is causing uncertainty in the level of grip you have under you.

Rich
Old 25 January 2001, 11:43 AM
Olaf
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Thanks for your help everyone. The point about the handling is that while the P1's limits are high, it doesn't feel as evenly balanced as the turbo. The back end grip is very high, and oversteer isn't a problem, but the front end can feel light in the wet, and understeer to a surprising degree. It's easy enough to control and very safe, but might be more fun with a bit more front end grip & sharper turn in.

Sounds like the 18" is the way to go - just got to start saving.
Old 25 January 2001, 01:06 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rich

Yes, I did mean "understeer". The front will definitiely break away first when accelerating through a bend. I cannot compare with other Scoobs as I have no experience, but I do take your point (the steering / front end does feel light, despite their still being tremendous traction available). My point really was, under nomal (fast) driving its all to play for - i.e. a challenge (and after all, a bit of understeer in the wet is pretty harmless).

I do agree, fatter front tyres will improve turn in - just so annoying that P1 doesn't come with these as standard.