Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brakes hardly work on first use?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2001, 12:34 AM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Seems i'm not alone with this problem,my brakes just dont seem to want to work,a couple of solid left foot applications in 2nd gear and their a bit better but still crap.
All my discs have dirty,rust rings around them it looks like the cars been stood for a year and then taken out with some heavy braking to clean em up.
Its a my00 with 11k on the clock and is off in for 15k service so i'll see what they say and do.
Andy,was your mates all done under warranty.

cheers Paul
Old 23 January 2001, 12:46 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Paul,

Everything was done under warranty, and Prodrive/Subaru should have a fix somewhere as well!!

I thought that when a major problem came up, and they had to send out one of the Prodrive guys, the fix was published as a fix to all dealers!! Could be wrong!!

Easiest thing to do is just call up your local dealer, and see what they have to say about it!!

Good luck
Andy
Old 23 January 2001, 10:53 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Question

After last weekend when my brakes had a thorough work out I now appear to have a slight problem.

The first time I try to use the brakes I would be as well openning the door and putting my feet on the ground. After a couple of accelearte to 30, stand on the brake pedal manouvers they return to normal. Anyone have any ideas?

Std MY00 discs and pads, 6 1/2k miles.
Old 23 January 2001, 11:32 AM
Aero
Scooby Regular

That just started for me today!
When it first happened I was heading towards a T-junction. I had my hand on the handbrake when the pedal actually started working.

MY94 RA front brakes from STI V

(My alarm was going off at 5:45 this morning also, when the brakes didn't work I thought it might be another assasination attempt)

[This message has been edited by Aero (edited 23 January 2001).]
Old 23 January 2001, 11:51 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

My friend had this with his MY99 UK wagon.

After say 20 miles of driving, and not using the brakes, the brakes would not seem to work! It's not fade as he hadn't used the brakes for 20 miles!!

It went back to the dealer, and they changed the fluid but still no joy. New pads, and disks. I think after a few visits to the dealers, and getting a guy from Prodrive to have a look, the following solution was used.

New Mintex pads, new standard disks, Dot 5.1 fluid and a brake bracket. He hasn't had the problem since. He has just added new braided hoses as well.

Seems like a big job, but no real conclusions though!

Andy
Old 23 January 2001, 11:55 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Wink

I may not want to mention that they worked fine when I left Bruntingthorpe, if it comes down to that

Oh well, I suppose it is still under warranty
Old 23 January 2001, 01:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My brakes have never felt that good, too much spongyness in them (but they do work if you slam your foot to the floor and quite well too!!) oh well, roll on those AP 6pots

Tony
Old 23 January 2001, 02:02 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just rang my dealer (B&C) about the very same thing. When I got the DP fitted, the blokey took my car for a test run. When I picked it up, the brakes didn't have any stopping power until I did some fred flintstone stomps on the brakes.

their response, "uhmmm, never heard of that one. Subaru haven't quoted it as a problem.".

anyone's dealer admitted there maybe somthing up?
Old 23 January 2001, 02:12 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Mine just happened on Sunday morning, brakes worked fine until then, thought I would post on here in case it was something obvious.
Not spoken to dealer yet, should speak to him later this week, he is supposed to see some Subaru guy this week - when he will be discussing my lack of power problem, so will leave it until the end of the week before checking up (if it doesn't go away by itself).
Will pass on any details.
Old 23 January 2001, 02:20 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've had issues with B&C in the past, but that was a thing about them turning their nose up at me!!!

May be worth chatting to a couple of other dealers. Cheam Motors is a good start for the Surrey area (Ewell), or if you are closer to Basingstoke, give Mill Lane (01256-780790) a call.

Andy
Old 23 January 2001, 03:00 PM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Not just a Scooby problem I'm afraid.
My wife's RAV4 does it too. First time you brake the front disks just don't work (but fortunately the rear drums do), and then after that they're fine.

Japanese Disks?!

Paul
Old 23 January 2001, 03:55 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Ah ha! Others have similar problems, I see - but there's no pattern. I've done 28.5K in my MY99 wagon and had no problems with the brakes until a few weeks (and few hundred miles) ago.

Started her up, moved off down the road, had to gently brake for an on-coming car and...nothing! Well, almost nothing. Sudden panic attack fearing I was going to plough into a parked car.

Lift off the pedal (the mind says "stamp harder!") and pressed again. Suddenly OK. I put it down as a one-off, but it's happened a few times now, but only when setting off in the morning (icy or mild, makes no difference).

OK, so they're original pads (yes, I know - I must drive too gently!) and may need changing (30K service soon). But still very disconcerting.
Old 23 January 2001, 07:07 PM
CHIZZER
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob,
Its Mark from Tyres Northampton,after serious brake use,ie round Bruntingthorpe,you will glaze up the front of the brake pad.You may also have basically cooked the pad under heavy braking.
If you can find a descent garage way up there they may just strip your brake pads down and reface them,it may just sort the problem out.If not then you will just have to cough up some more dough and replace the pads.
Heavy braking can and will glaze the pads up and if you can imagine two smooth surface together will not make you STOP!!!

regards

THE CHIZZER
Old 23 January 2001, 07:40 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

This has always happened to my UK98 (std or after Sti discs/calipers fitted), after washing the car and during very moist weather. I assume it is wet discs that are to blame for literally no brakes at all when first pressed. So I always press gently with left foot while tootling up the road to boil off the damp. They then work fine. Dont need to do it in warm weather - brakes always work. Rule 2 is do a moving brake check every time anyway = no surprises.
Thats my 2p worth anyway !!
Stan
Old 23 January 2001, 11:03 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You guys read RoadCraft?

[This message has been edited by KF (edited 23 January 2001).]
Old 24 January 2001, 08:29 PM
Matt Clayton
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Robertio,
This problem has only just started on my p-1.
The first time was about a week ago when approaching a T junction at about 20mph having just set off from home. I pressed the brake and sod all happened, twice. Ended up with a nice combination of hand brake and verge to stop.
Not good.
Took the car to the dealers yesterday and the mechanics said they had come accross this problem before but they wouldn't let on as to what was the cause. I have left the car with them tonight so they can try the brakes first thing in the morning.
Paul W,
The brakes also have a nice rust speckled look when they have been parked overnight and a grinding sound when they eventually work. The brakes generally sort themselves out but often only after a few stamps have been given.
I wouldn't mind but the car has only done 6500 miles.
I will let you know of the dealers answer.

Matt
Old 24 January 2001, 09:58 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Had this problem on my RB5 after it had done about 5000 miles.

No stopping power at all on initial application once or twice. Straight to the dealer.

Master cylinder seals were not doing the job. New master cylinder and all was fine.

Diagnosed in 5 minutes, not sure how, but there you are, it worked !