Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Replacing Potenza's & brake upgrade.....

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2001, 09:24 PM
Clever Trevor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have standard Potenza's all round -not that
impressed with grip levels.....

Are RE010's the same as Potenza's or worse?

Thinking of going for Toyos TS1's shortly so I hope I can feel the differance

I have 16" 6 spoke gold alloys which apparently came as part of the deal for 4 new Potenza last time round - not my choice ideally but I can live with them provided I can get the right tyre & brake combination!

Anyone know what make these alloys are?

Also do you think that newer standard 4 pots rather than my 2 pots on say EBC greenstuffs & decent discs will make much of a differance as at moment I daren't press on as I doubt whether I could stop in an emergency!

I know - Questions,Questions... but hey im just learning!

thanks in advance Trevor
Old 03 January 2001, 11:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bridgestone Potenza RE010 is the OEM tyre at least on MY99/00. Goodyear F1, Toyo Proxes T1S and Bridgestone S02 Pole Position (don't know if this is also a "Potenza") are three of the tyres the guys rave about. Test drove an older Impreza with 2pots and it was nowhere near as good as 4pots on my MY00 - which have subsequenty improved hugely with Mintex 1155 pads in terms of feel & bite. Never got fade on road anyway - not taken car on track yet. Black Diamond and Bremsport are two of the discs mentioned frequently - I would have put Black Diamonds on if not for insurance problems. If you double check that 4pots will fit under your wheels then you might find a nearly new set of 4pot calipers possibly with pads/discs on the board, which I expect you would find a lot better. People often flog these when they buy one of the "big" brake kits - e.g. AP, Brembo etc try Scoobysport or Scoobymania etc but prices are >>£1k but said to be worth it esp. on track. I have no knowledge of these big brake kits, but 4pots are a huge improvement on 2pots for probably relatively small outlay. Just change the fronts - most of the braking occurs there. Some of the guys would advise that you consider upfront whether you are going to want a big brake kit so you don't waste your money faffing around with lesser components which will later be useless.

Anyway, this is my relatively limited experience of a new Impreza used on the road. New pads are plenty good enough for me at the moment on std 4pots. I think it is fair to say that the pads are a big weakness on the 4pot system, but the caliper and disc seem to be OK. At least the brakes now feel as good as the rest of the car and give real confidence.
Old 04 January 2001, 05:30 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Talking

Trevor,

Your alloys will be the Subaru ones which came off the P1s prior to 17" wheels being fitted.

The are exactly the same style as the MY2000 except they are gold. They were sold by Subaru Dealers with RE010 tyres for around £500.

Cheers,

Ian.

Old 04 January 2001, 06:57 PM
Jim Dunleavy
Scooby Regular

Do you get any problems with brake dust using these pads?
Old 04 January 2001, 08:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

yes, more dust, but nothing compared to the general salt/slush etc that has been on the roads recently. Worth it!