After Market Brakes and IM warranty problems

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2000, 03:29 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Has anyone out there got any advice?
Having spoken to several people at BH in Oct, it seemed clear to me that Prodrive/Alcon brakes were effective but flawed ( disks wearing out on the inside, vibration, Ds 3000 too aggressive etc) so I asked my dealer what would happen warranty wise if I put AP 6 pots on my P1. He checked with Subaru UK/IM and came back with complete invalidation of the warranty for the whole car, not just the brakes

So, unless someone can convince me differently, I'll probably have to go for the Alcon brakes and go back to my dealer every so often for new pads/discs etc
Old 08 December 2000, 04:04 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They would say that though wouldn't they!

On a serious note, my understanding is that if you were to submit a warranty claim, the manufacturer would have to prove that the fitting of the aftermarket part had caused the failure before they could refuse the claim.

So if your electric window broke, IM would find it very difficult to refuse your claim on the basis that you had fitted an AP brake kit!

On the other hand, if your brake master cylinder packed-up, they might have a slightly stronger case?

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Andrew.
Old 08 December 2000, 04:10 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if your gearbox or engine failed, how would they explain that it had been caused by the brakes.

Its a very easy thing to say, but your warranty booklet explains that the failure would be refused if CAUSED by a non approved part.

Before Prodrive came up with the Alcon kit, the majority of aftermarket brake kits fitted by Subaru dealers were supplied by us.

We still supply a lot into the dealer network, as track day fans don't want to be stuck with 17's when 16" slicks are so cheap.