Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Arghh!!........I'm just having a moan........

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2000, 05:03 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I don’t expect any reply to this but since you’re here reading it, I would like to tell you my tale of trying to purchase tyres……..

Recently, I searched through this bulletin board and taking in the recommendations and prices of different tyres from other members, I approached a local dealer for some Goodyear F1’s.

He quoted me £320 for 4, including VAT and fitted, so went ahead with the sale. When I got them they were made in Thailand and not E-marked, so after reading about this on this board, I phoned Goodyear who told me to take them back and either replace them with E-marked tyres or gain a refund.

I see my dealer who states that he is sure ZR rated tyres are exempt from having to be E-marked but will check up on it with his contacts. A few days later and no reply from dealer, I smell a not very nice smelly thing.

In the meantime, Goodyear E-mail me back concerning the legality of non E-marked tyres and state that tyres for the UK must have a legislation number. For example E13 0203564. Even if a tyre has an E in a circle, if it does not have a legislation number then it is illegal for the UK. The legislation surrounding this was changed in or around June 1997.

Rather than waiting any longer for the dealer to ring back, I phone him and surprise surprise, he offers me alternatives to the tyres I had. No explanation regarding ZR tyres being exempt but an offer of E-marked F1’s for £110 inclusive each. ( £30 more each over the previous ones) The other alternative he gave was SO2’s for £106 inc each.

I decide to take the SO2 option thinking it was a good price and they are recommended as a good tyre to have, then I checked what other people may have paid for theirs. I read a thread whereby someone paid £85 + VAT for SO2’s (£100) and thought to myself, bu**er, I’m paying more than I need to, but thought to myself, maybe their tyres aren’t E-marked so didn’t concern myself too much and it’s only £24 more in total that I’m paying. Now I have just read a thread stating that SO2’s have been superseded by the SO2 PP (pole position). So now I’m unsure if the original SO2’s are any good or if everyone has been praising the capabilities of the PP. Or if I’ve been offered a tyre which is now no longer made…….

I didn’t realise it would be such a saga trying to get half decent tyres for my car, but it has made me think………is there a possibility to create a forum dedicated to prices of commonly replaced items such as tyres, brake pads, discs, air filters etc. If members felt they got a good deal from someone, they could post to this dedicated forum and allow other users to benefit from their experience instead of traipsing through endless searches on, for example “X” tyre versus “Y” tyre which has only one reply on prices and the rest on tyre pressure and how long they last. It may also create repeat business for the retailer if enough people see what they are offering at what price they are willing to sell it for. I’m not looking for a forum whereby we as members can bad mouth retailers that rip us off, but instead a place that will allow members to make a non biased judgement to their next purchase based on others experience.

Is this feasible ? or should I just go back in to my corner and nurse my flu ‘til I’m feeling better?

A
Old 06 December 2000, 05:51 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Bad luck Alan. It sounds as though you went to a back street cheapo tyres place.

First off, complain to trading standards, that should really put the wind up the dealer as he carried out an unlawful act in selling you the tyres. SO2's are made in PP & non PP. The PP's are better. With the aid of trading standards & your citizens advice centre just get your money back & get some PP's. I always use Micheldever Tyres 01962 774437 to get a price & then use it to beat down local dealers. Also remember that if you use a cheapo dealer, maybe they won't be so careful with your wheels, maybe they won't have the special nylon alloy wheel equipment & maybe they won't use stick-on weights!
Old 06 December 2000, 05:52 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Oh, if you paid by credit card - complain to your credit card company & ask for a refund.
Old 06 December 2000, 06:14 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Nick

I won't go down the route of naming and shaming but the dealer concerned has been in the business for over 20 years and has more than one outlet. He comes highly recommended.

If he had been open with me from the beginning by stating that the reason the tyres were so cheap is because they weren't E-marked, then I would have the option then of being responsible for my own decisions, but to withhold the information, then query my complaint of legality, it smacks of someone only interested in making a buck at the expense of the consumer.

At the end of the day, ignorance of the law is no excuse if one is faced with charges relating to having illegal tyres.

Thanks for your support

A