Simple Brake Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2000, 12:13 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Marcus,

I had uprated standard-size disks fitted along with Mintex pads before going the Hi Spec big disk route.

Have you had the brake fluid changed ? This made a *huge* difference to my car. The fluid must have been almost completely shot in my car when I got it....

I put in AP 5.1 fluid which is about £10 for a litre which was much better.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 03 December 2000, 08:43 AM
Marcos
Scooby Regular

Hi,

As I can't SEARCH, I thought I'd ask why my brakes seem _alot_ more responsive on the 'second' brake, quickly made after the first brake!

I've just put a recent post about the EBC pad/disc myth and haven't been impressed at all with the braking....then yesterday came to a junction a bit too fast...1st attempt of the brakes didn't make much effect...2nd quick press of the brakes stopped the car dead in its tracks....(somethings not quite right here).

Is this normal? I'm sure I've read somewhere there could be a leak, or pressure escaping? What should I tell me trusy ole mechanic to look at?

cheers

marcus

95WRX EBC pads/discs (and not happy)
Old 03 December 2000, 10:02 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Could just be that after the first 'brake' the pads/discs are up to temperature??
Old 03 December 2000, 08:31 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

I have EBC front disks and Mintex pads, I find that the brakes get better the more you use them, i.e. first press they are ok, second they are better, and third time you stop dead, so they would seem to need higher temperatures to work.

I had my fluid changed, and it made a huge difference to the feel and stopping power.

Stuart
Old 03 December 2000, 10:44 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Got to say that I have noticed this phenonomen (sod the spell-checker ) sometimes as well when braking then mid-brake, quick release then re-apply, pedal feel back to excellent.

I have noticed this with OE & Brembo/APs... (& many other cars)

Probably a tech explanation or in my mind
Old 03 December 2000, 11:31 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Don't panic! I think this is normal. I had the same thing, so took the radical step of reading the Owner's Manual.

Mine's a MY00, with AP 4-pots, braided hoses, brake suport bracket and 5.1 fluid. See section 10-31 of the manual where it describes how to check if the 'brake booster' (servo?) is operating correctly. "... brake booster operates properly if the pedal stroke decreases with each depression."

Later on it mentions that brake pedal travel on right-hand drive cars is 20mm longer than on left-hand drive cars. I'd always put the sponginess down to some air in the pipes, sometimes trapped within the ABS system, I was told. Maybe it's got more to do with re-routing pipe work for right-hand drive.

If you're still concerned, see the handbook and run through the list of checks, with engine on and off etc, for reassurance. But if you're less than 100% happy, get the system professionally checked.

Hoppy
Old 04 December 2000, 06:41 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

The pipe run is shorter for cars in this country with ABS, so I doubt if that is the case.

More likely is that the front pads have pumped closer to the disks + possibly the disks have expanded slightly.

During normal use the pistons will return a little over time, the first pump will bring them back into tolerance, it's all part of the self adjusting.

Before anyone says the pistons should never return, how do you think you put new pads in???