track days & std brakes

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2000, 11:58 AM
Pete N
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi folks,

How well do the standard pads last with track-day (ab)use? I have an event coming up and am debating whether to buy a spare set of front pads to take with me (just in case!) or whether to upgrade the pads beforehand (say Mintex 1155's, unless anyone wants to dissuade me). It's my first event so I'm not planning on pushing too hard (yeah, right ), but I know the brakes'll suffer far harder use than normal driving.

Does anyone have a set of spare low-time front pads they'd be willing to part with for a small sum? (pref North Hants/Fleet area) They'd only be for emergency get-me-home use, before anyone tut-tuts!

And how would I stand with the IM warranty if I did upgrade the pads? (I have a UK MY00)

Cheers, Peter.
Old 23 September 2000, 02:14 PM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete,

you will be fine with the standard brakes as long as you don't go mad with them. Limit your laps to about 5 or 6 at a time, and do a cooling down lap before returning to the pits.

1155 pads won't be a problem warranty wise, as they were approved as a performance upgrade part by Prodrive/Subaru a few years ago, and are probably still available from Subaru dealers.

Bringing a spare set of pads to a track event is always a good idea, and I have got a couple of half worn sets which I keep specifically for this purpose.
Old 23 September 2000, 02:42 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Sorry to disagree, but I would not even go near a track with standard brake pads. They won't last a lap of serious stick. I believe they're dangerous under track circumstances.

I'd say you need to upgrade pads, discs and fluid as a minimum to enjoy yourself in reasonable safety.

Your dealer should be able to furnish you with the necessary. Ask for ProDrive pads (expensive but very good Ferodo DS2000s, in fact) and a disc and fluid upgrade. If this seems a lot to spend on your first track day, just go for the pads. If you don't upgrade the discs, check them regularly for signs of fracture. And if your steering starts to judder, pit immediately as you've warped them.

Do it this way and you'll avoid any warranty problems, too.

Hoppy
Old 23 September 2000, 03:58 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Pete,
I did my first trackday not long ago with standard pads (and two pot calipers) with no problems. As suggested don't stay out too long and you'll be fine. I also made sure I wasn't braking hard enough for the ABS to activate (which is still heavy braking nonetheless).
Even being a tad careful I was still able to pass both UK scoobs I came up against in my 'Linked' 96MY ie. no need to drive like your gran !

However, if I start to do trackdays on a regular basis I'll definately upgrade to make the most of the car.

There was a set of P1 brakes in the wanted section which may be of interest.

Have fun !

Neil.
Old 24 September 2000, 07:07 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

TYRES NORTHAMPTON will hopefully be in attendance at all future SIDC events, and always carry a wide range of pads for those people that need them.

Stef.
Old 25 September 2000, 12:50 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

I recently did an Abingdon airfield day, and owing to circumstances beyond my control, ended turning up without even having changed the fluid, let alone the pads on MY99 with at the time, 8k on the clock.

I put a post on the BBS as to whether I should risk the brakes, or cancel, and the general concensus was yes, but be careful as per above advice.

In the morning I grannied around, worrying about the brakes (Neil, I think this was when you overtook one of the UK cars ).

In the afternoon I decided to go for it a bit more, braked quite hard, and had loads more fun. Never had any problems at all, no fading or anything, tho they were getting quite hot and I think longer sessions would have caused problems.

To be perfectly honest, if you're not going to drive that hard, I'd worry more about your tyres, cos mine went from ok to knackered in one day.

The brakes are now off the car (as I've upgraded anyway) and even to my untrained eye they look in good shape, the disks/pads are in good condition with plenty of wear left in both, and no evidence of overheating at all.

Having said all that, if you're planning lots of trackdays, go for an upgrade, you don't want to be worrying about your brakes, seee how hard Stef brakes and you'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps

Simon
Old 25 September 2000, 06:55 PM
schuey
Scooby Regular

I also did an airfield day at Abingdon with standard brakes MY99 and drove like a granny in the morning.
In the afternoon went for it and had lots of fun. Towards the end was suffering big time from brake fade and after my last run smoke was coming off my brakes for about 5 mins afterwards.
Have since fitted group N brembos, pagid pads(lots of dust ) braided hoses, brake support bracket and dot 5.1 fluid.

Go for an upgrade, depending on how many track days you intend doing, will determine whether to go for a full up grade or just a half way measure.

Jon