Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Dropping brake pedal, pads or bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2000, 01:12 PM
Julian Rowland
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since replacing my racing pads with road pads at the end of Silverstone I have noticed that the brake pedal has a lower bitting point on initial application than on second application. Question is this that the brake pads have been fitted incorrectly or the wheel bearing is on its way out? At slow speeds you get a slight scraping noise.

Car is MY99.

Thanks in advance

Old 21 August 2000, 08:59 PM
Don Palmer
Scooby Regular

Cool

You don't say how long the pads have been in there - it is perfectly possible that the old pads have worn the disc and the new ones have not bedded in yet.
Callipers are designed to "Knock back" the pad from the disc very slightly so they don't rub continuously. In your case it sounds like the pads don't fit properly on the face of the disc - It is very likely that this anomaly will go away after a short time of running on the new pads, if it continues you should investigate further.
The scraping is normal for sintered pads.
Wheel bearings can produce the same symptoms as "knock Back" but this is much more pronounced resulting in the sort of behaviour you describe.

[This message has been edited by Don Palmer (edited 21 August 2000).]
Old 22 August 2000, 08:20 AM
Julian Rowland
Scooby Regular

Thanks Don. I basically took out the road pads at Silverstone, replaced them with track pads and then after Silverstone put the road pads back in. The pads have now done 2k after being put back in. I personally didn't work on the brakes so I was wondering if the pads are in correctly?

This morning I had a sqeeks etc coming from the front left which makes me wonder if its the bearing?