Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

P1 4pots and MY98 - Wheel won't Turn!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2000, 12:27 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the original SuperTourismo wheels from Prodrive (double 6 spoke), then there is not enough clearance to fir the 4 pot brakes.

I too have these wheels - though now sold (and due to go to their new owner in a week or so), and am currently looking around for the best deal on wheels which will clear bigger brakes. I had 11 people enquire about my wheels when I advertised them for sale, so you should have any problem in selling them.

You can get the Brembo conversion from Scoobysport which will fit with these wheels, but I understand they use a small spacer to give just enough clearance.

It isn't so much the offset that causes the problem, but the shape of the spokes on the inside of the wheels...
Old 10 July 2000, 11:09 AM
cskip2
Scooby Newbie

Red face

I have just had some 4Pots from a P1 fitted to my 98MY. The disks and calipars fit no problem. When I put the wheels (17inch SuperTs) back on the wheels will not turn! They are the wrong offset.

Do I have to buy new wheels!!! Or is there another solution.

HELP!
Old 10 July 2000, 11:24 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

What offset are your wheels?

It may not be just the offset, but the thickness of the spokes - how much extra space do you need, you could use small spacers if it is not far out (A lot of people frown on spacers!), but if the offset is wrong then the spacers could put back to where it should be - however it is unusual to have to big an offset on a scooby!!

Paul

Paul
Old 10 July 2000, 11:46 AM
cskip2
Scooby Newbie

I need less that 1/2 inch. The dealer fitting them has suggested that spacers are not a good idea. Apparently they will alter the camber etc.

Any other Ideas?

Clive.
Old 10 July 2000, 11:58 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sell them and get new wheels, there's a version of the supertourismo (evo) that works with the 4-pots. The offset is 48 (I think) on that one, so with 205x45's you're home free - but with 215x40's you'll need to remove the rear rubber thingy on the wheel arch. (I had to with my Tecnomagnesios, 17x7 ET48 - 215/40 F1's when I lowered it with the GGS022 Tein springs from GGR).

*blablabla*

Spacers won't change camber (the inwards tilting of the wheel), what it will do is alter track width and steering geometry.

And it'll make the tires rub even worse...

Sooo...the only sensible option is to get new wheels - or ditch the brakes.

[This message has been edited by SecretAgentMan (edited 10-07-2000).]
Old 10 July 2000, 11:59 AM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Clive,

If the wheels are the standard Prodrive (Speedline) SuperTourismos (six 'double' spokes) then as you have unfortunately found out, these wheels do not clear the standard 4 pots, due to their spoke pattern/positioning. In fact, this is why the ST2 was introduced as an alternative.

My suggestion would be just to bite the bullet and buy new wheels. You should be able to shift a set of 17" supertourismos without too much problem, which will go some way to easing the pain.

Alternatively, sell on the 4 pots, and consider alternatives that will work with your wheels (unfortunately, the only one I know off is the Scoobysport Brembo kit, and that's gonna cost you a lot more than new wheels).

Certainly I'd be wary of playing about with spacers, as you're not going to do the handling any favours....

HTH
Alastair
Old 10 July 2000, 11:59 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Spacers may not be a good idea for a number of reasons but they definitely wont alter the camber,

Sounds like new wheels (I did hear of someone who had his wheels machined down!!!!! but that sounds much worse than spacers

IF the ofset is incorrect spacers might fix the problem and give you thecorrect alignment

Paul
Old 10 July 2000, 06:48 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

If you want to keep the wheels, another option is a big-disk upgrade from Hi-Spec in Dartford.

315mm disks/bells using the standard calipers £350+VAT.

I have the same wheels as you and they work fine...

Selling the 4 pots will cover the cost.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 10 July 2000, 10:26 PM
cskip
Scooby Regular

Thanks, for the info guys.

I think the only option is to go hunting for some 17inch ST2s.

??Are 18inch wheels an option. I here that Subaru have them available for the P1. What about for a 98MY??