Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

P1 wheels - definitive answer (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2000, 05:09 PM
Swiss Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The definitive answer to all those P1 Wheel questions (hopefully).
Just rec'd following from a very helpful contact at PRODRIVE.

quote:
Dear Steve

I have been following the thread on the BBS about the P1 wheel, I thought I should set the record straight, I am happy for you to cut and paste this to the BBS.

The P1 wheel (7x17'' P-WRC1) is ONLY available though the Subaru distributors in Europe, however, in the UK it is not available AT ALL - IN SUBARU ET52.

A decision was made to allow OZ to distribute the 17'' wheel, they supply the ET52 (Subaru fitment) only to the Importers, but the are also producing a ET45 (ET48?) and some companies are supplying this as suitable for Subaru's.

The 45mm offset is NOT suitable for the Impreza, this is not Prodrive trying to "corner" or "hold-onto" the market, it is simple engineering, when the Impreza is fitted with an ET less than about 50mm it starts to tramline, by the time you get to 45mm it will tramline and follow camber. With the correct ET52 the geometry is similar to factory standard, the vehicle behaves as standard.

The 18'' P1 wheel will only be available from Prodrive - and whoever we supply it to for re-sale.

Re Homolagation: It is my belief that OZ have TUV etc on this wheel, I certainly would expect them to have this. However Subaru Schweiz seem to have their own set of standards.....!

Prodrive parts are (in theory) available from the Subaru Importer / Dealer network all through Europe (and other parts of the world) In practice it is not this simple, in the UK we have a fantastic relationship with Subaru UK, in some of the other countries it is not always so strong. This can lead to communication problems with the end user, the upsurge of internet usage is helping to reduce these problems though.

I hope this goes some way to help you understand the situation.

Kind regards

Export Account Manager
Performance Vehicle Products
Prodrive
unquote