Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wise to modify brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2000, 10:22 PM
Guido
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all the brake mods I have seen going on i.e. aftermarket pads, different size rear discs, I was wondering what an insurance company would say if a car was involved in a claim? My guess, which may be naive is that, like engine mods anything that alters the spec of the car needs to be assessed.

Given also that they employ loss adjusters who are paid not to pay out (!!!) then if they found 3rd party pads then I suspect they may dispute any claim. This would be even more true for different disc sizes etc - I had a car once that I would have sworn was light on the rear braking - until one day I HAD to jump on the brakes going round a blind corner to avoid a horse and boy did the back ever come round quick . If I had had more braking on the rear it would have been curtains.

To reinforce this Prodrive recommend that the rear pads are changed when the fronts are uprated to keep the braking balanced. It may well be OK to increase front braking (especially to get more weight transfer) but more at the back feels wrong.

Do people need to be more careful? or am I being over cautious?

Regards

Guy
Old 12 May 2000, 11:05 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Guido, so long as the insurance company is aware of the modification this should not be an issue. If however you are just changing the brake pads, how are they going to know?

Dan
Old 12 May 2000, 11:37 PM
Guido
Scooby Newbie

Hi Dan,

If you leave the black stuff with enough style and there is a claim, then the loss adjusters will come looking with a fine toothcomb - ECU, exhaust and all will be inspected. If the car is badly damaged and towed away then they may get to inspect it before you do.
They do not willingly want to pay out!

Best regards

Guy