Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

EBC Pads & Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2000, 11:42 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to let everyone know that I will be testing some EBC compounds for AP/Scoobymania at Donno.
Whilst this is predominantly to aid them in the selection of suitable pad compounds for their kit, it should also benfit others as EBC pads are available for many other calipers.
I will be running 'Red Stuff' in the morning and their full race spec 'Yellow Stuff' in the afternoon.
These pads are very cheap in comparison to other 'performance' pads, but whether they are as durable as Pagids and the like on track is unknown.
I guess we'll find out on Sunday.
Will keep you posted.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 03-03-2000).]
Old 03 March 2000, 12:57 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Question

Do you need the full brake kit like you have to take advantage of the full race spec pads? If not, can I buy some there and how much are they? What is your name? Whao are you? Whao am i? What is the meaning of life? Who? What? When? Where? How? Which?

Cems head explodes
Old 03 March 2000, 01:13 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

hehehe. Nice one Blow Dog.

Old 03 March 2000, 07:44 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Cem.

I believe several applications are available in both 'Red' and 'Yellow' already.
It's just the new calipers like mine that are in development still.
Check with Mike to see if EBC make a pad for the standard Scooby caliper, I'm sure they do.

Stef.
Old 05 March 2000, 03:10 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I suppose Pagid have the Blue pad sewn-up, so EBC can't do the whole rainbow...
Old 05 March 2000, 11:18 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Old 07 March 2000, 10:25 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Well, as promised, here are my findings....

The Red Stuff pads I bedded in for a couple of days before Donno. They seemed to perform very, very well on the road and I was looking forward to getting them on the track.
THEY LASTED 50 MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was not impressed.
Whilst they did stop me, I had to put a fair amount of effort in, more than usual.
I was gobsmacked when I checked them after my off to see virtually nothing on them.
I was very pleased with the Green Stuff pads I had replaced, as these had lasted 12,000 miles and still had some miles left on them.
I can only presume that the Reds would have lasted at least as long on the road, probably longer.
They are just pants on the track, period.
At least with the Scoobymania/AP grooved set-up I have anyway.
So after lunch it was the turn of the Yellows.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!
They only required a short bedding-in time, as recommended by EBC, as the compound is designed for racing.
I can not stress how good these pads were, they were amazing.
I had to apply very little pressure to get massive braking effect, thus probably wearing them out a lot slower.
After a further 130 miles they less than half worn.
I still have them in my car, despite EBC's advice not to use them on the road ( I had no choice as the Reds were shot!).
I can't understand why though.
They perform at least as well as the Reds, even from cold.
I have given them a couple of emergency stops from cold too, and they are excellent.
I may well go back to Reds for road use, but I'm going to leave the Yellows in and see how they last.
I'll be going back to AP shortly to get their assessment, as well as speaking to the chaps at EBC to see what went wrong.
They told me that Red Stuff would be more than sufficient for track use, but 50 miles is unacceptable.
So, if you have a decent brake set-up (probably better on standard brakes too) try EBC Yellow Stuff next time you're on the track.
I don't think you'll be disappointed, certainly not considering the cost!
Speak to Scoobymania if you need prices, etc.

Stef.
Old 07 March 2000, 03:34 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Question

Stef,

You reckoned the pads didn't wear so fast and needed less pedal pressure, brilliant.

However, the magic improvement in brake performance doesn't come without a price, did you check the wear on your brake discs?

Moray
Old 07 March 2000, 07:56 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Moray.

Once I get my car back I will be visiting AP for an assessment of disc wear.
I will of course let you all know the outcome.

Stef.
Old 07 March 2000, 09:05 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

stef, i have got a suggestion for you.

These are NOT for use on the road!!!!!!!!

Try some performance friction 93 compound pads in the front, they will blow your mind.

They work by coating the disk with carbon and do not wear the disk's out. You must not clean your disks with an abrasive after use as they use the carbon coating to generate massive grip.

Indy cars and BTCC cars use these, they are the dogs on a track, you have to have some finesse in using them, just jumping on the brakes like an ape doesn't work, i recon you would love em.

cheers
john
Old 07 March 2000, 09:52 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

John, would this be something like the Carbon Metallics Z rated?

Dan
Old 08 March 2000, 12:35 AM
Mark Cole
Scooby Newbie

Possibly into McLeans, but I very much doubt doing that into the Esses would help!
Looked like a brake or tyre problem from where I was sitting.
Old 08 March 2000, 09:06 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Question

Coming down a level or two - what pads are recommended for road use on standard MY99 four pots/standard disks? Green Stuff? - are they really dust free? would Reds wear standard disks down? any other suggestions?
Old 08 March 2000, 09:47 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Gary, after going for a ride with Lee C. on both the road and then the track, the Pagids from SS are brill. Give them a try.

Dan
Old 08 March 2000, 10:51 AM
Mark Cole
Scooby Newbie

Stef,

I was following you for a couple of laps near the end of the day. Your car seemed to be quite unstable (almost weaving) in the big stop into McLeans and particularly on the straight into the Esses.

Were you having brake trouble at this stage or was not noticeable inside the car?

Mark
Old 08 March 2000, 11:44 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Possibly this was Stef (ab )using the brakes to unbalance the car to set it up for the corner?
Old 08 March 2000, 12:44 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
The Z rated pads are for road use and are a mild but effective carbon metalic pad.

There are 4 grades for the track; 80,83,90 and 93

80 and 90 are similar in spec
83 and 93 are similar in spec

the 90's are the newer compounds and work better on track, they are VERY agresive in there torque delivery though and do not suite everyone.

the 80's are an older compound series that have a milder torque curve, these are more suited for forest rally apps and very lightweight cars.

we use 93's on the esprit race car and 83's on the forest rally car.

both are awesome. If you try the 93's and cant cope with there instant bite then try the 90 or the 83.

AP Racing are a major UK supplier of these pads and all the AP calipers have pads in the Performance Friction range.

another tip on the brakes. Buy some temperature paint, you will see very quickly wether you are over or under cooling the disks, even with the best pads, if the disks go over temp for the pads then they will turn to dust very quickly.
Old 08 March 2000, 01:38 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

I use EBC greens on larger discs (315*28) with standard calipers on my Legacy GT-B; same brakes as impreza but heavier car.

They have been pretty good so far on the road, haven't induced fade at all and I used to get it all the time with standard pads (and standard sized disks).

However two problems, after the car has been washed the brakes don't work for the first stop, I've never noticed this with any other road pad (The discs are drilled which i would have thought would make them better when the discs are wet (Same for grooves but less so), and they definitely produce dust so that part of the advertising is complete Bull

Paul
Old 08 March 2000, 09:59 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Gary C.
Greens really are dust free, and I used them in my car for 12,000 miles. They were sufficient, but I never really gave them a good battering, as I'm fairly sensible on the road.
I reckon Reds would be better.
Try Greens and see though, they're only about £55 a set!!!!!

John F.
When I tested the AP kit in Nov we used temp paint then.
The discs were turning the red paint white, indicating very high temp (min 600+).
I also used the AP pads then which were very good, although they didn't seem to last as well as the Yellow Stuff has.
The cost is also a feature as well. Yellow are approx half the price!!!
I'll let you see for yourself next time, then you can give me your opinion.
I will be putting Reds back in for road use though.

Mark.
I would guess that was a simple feature of having amazing front brakes!!!
With nearly all of the braking power at the front, the rear of my car almost leaves the ground.
Mike R commented on it as well.
It all feels perfectly normal inside the car though, if you call pooing passengers up normal!
It could also be down to the fact I had cheap part-worn tyres on?

Stef.
Old 08 March 2000, 11:31 PM
KevinW
Scooby Regular

Cool

Guys,

Stef took me for some laps in the afternoon at Donnignton (around 15:00ish). I at this point was unaware of what brakes he had.

I was impressed beyond belief when his speedo read 120+ mph approximately 60 or so yards from the Esses and he still reduced enough speed to take the corner!

From inside the car felt secure on the road and at no time did I feal uneasy (though I choked on the seatbelt a few times). I guess that must be credit to Stef as well as his car.

I must say I have never been in anything (apart from a plane) that knocked the speed off so quickly! Certainly was the highlight of my day!

Kevin