Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Track day wheels and tyres

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 1999, 12:57 AM
ikinder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget 15" wheels as you'll not get the front ones on over your Brembo's.

Regards,

Ian M K
Old 23 June 1999, 11:28 AM
PM29151
Scooby Regular

I have attended a number of track days this year and the first lesson learnt was 5 laps round Donnington = knackered road tyres. I bought myself a set of Comp MO's with part worn slicks and I was amazed at the grip levels, I have adjustable LEDA which I set at around 20 all round, and I also lower the car for track days, this with Brembo brakes seems to do the trick. I do however eat up tyres and I was after some advice.
I have taken the now shot slicks off of my Comp MO's and put a set of SO2's, which I will use for road and wet track days. I have a part (Non road legal) set of S02's on 16" standard wheels which I plan to leave on for intermediates, or when the weather is changeable so not to destroy the 17" S02's. What I want to do next is get a set of wheels which I will use for slicks, I plan to get an old set of 16" wheels but I wondered about 15". The 15" option will be cheaper but I wondered about roll radius's etc. Any help would be most welcome.

Old 23 June 1999, 11:47 AM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

The roll radius isnt that much of an issue if you get the rigth size slicks as they should be about the same size as a standard road tyre. Slicks are measured differently though and you will need to be careful about them rubbing the suspension/wings. It seems that people with 22 or 21 width slicks are getting this problem. I have had 18 width slicks which have not been a problem ideally I would like to get something a little wider possibly a 20 but these seem a little harder to come by. The second figure on Slick's is the diameter of the tyre if you work out on a standard tyre these come out at about 611 mm so a 60 or 62 diameter wheel will be about right. The only reason most people worry about rolling radius is to keep the Speedo accurate and as on a track day that doesnt really matter you could put a slightly smaller tyre on and this way you would get better acceleration.

Darren
Old 23 June 1999, 04:01 PM
PM29151
Scooby Regular

Darren\Ian,

Cheers.

I don't know what profile the slicks were on 17" wheels they were but they were not what I would call low profile tyres. I took the car out at Weathersfield for load of laps and noticed a slight rubbing noise when cornering. I didn't worry about it to much until I put my normal road tyres back on and I noticed that I rubbed away sections of the plastic guard in the wheel arches. LEDA spent ages setting the car up and I am reluctant to change them as the car handles like a dream. I have left the guards as they are as I would have thought that this may be a very expensive fix. The car is fine on the road now with the 17's and SO2's but I want to get 16" wheels with low profile slicks.