Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Anyone with an MY02> STi and AP brakes suffering pad knock-off?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2004, 04:44 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with an MY02> STi and AP brakes suffering pad knock-off?

I did a track day last year on my 7000 mile old MY02 STi (Brembo brakes) and due to the extremely twisty nature of half of the circuit, I was suffering quite bad pad knock off in this part of the circuit. I understand that this is partially due to the fact that the same hub/wheel bearings are used on the heavier STi as well as the old shape cars, hence why they suffer more from this problem than the old shape cars. I previously had an MY00UK with AP4 pots and never had this issue but am not sure if this would be an issue with the same brakes on the STi.

So, the question is, does anybody have a new shape STi (MY02 or newer) with AP 4 or 6 pot brakes fitted up front? If so, have you tracked it (which track) and have you suffered any pad knock off issues? (and have you had PKO issues with the OE Brembos and know that the AP's have cured this problem?)

I'm trying to decide if it's really worth upgrading if I'm still going to have the PKO problems.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 11 February 2004, 10:20 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt

Speak to Simo, he's managed to warp every brake under the sun. I think he had some PKO at Bedford (you were there!).

F
Old 12 February 2004, 11:56 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Thanks Floyd. I'm not actually interested in warping as I'm sure on track, any 1-piece disc like the Brembo is prone to this. What I'm trying to weigh up is whether or not, with decent discs (like wot AP supply), the AP's solve the PKO problem that exists on the Brembos. I suspect the answer may be no in which case, ar$e!!!! (obviously, if your disc is warped, you're going to get PKO anyway but I'm interested in people getting it with non-warped discs)

Could you point Si in this thread's direction and see what he has to say because, IIRC, the response I got from him (when we breifly discussed it @ Bedford was non-committal).

Cheers,

Matt
Old 12 February 2004, 08:59 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Matt

no knock off m8. my discs had done 35ish k with ds2500 pads then pagid 4.2's then back to ds2500's. They finally gave up and cracked at the w/end. I am v.happy with the mileage that they achieved, i think some of the problems had in the past with vibration was down to mixing pads. New discs on today, a little bedding in and new pads next week as the ds2500's are a little worn.

the other option to consider re change is split bells / discs maybe? Godspeed or others i am sure will make you sets up, could prob use ap discs it you wanted as well?

cheers simon
Old 13 February 2004, 09:59 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Thanks Si. The discs I am not worried about as there are plenty of options. What I didn't want to do was spend the money upgrading to AP calipers to find PKO still a problem.....

Ta,

Matt
Old 15 February 2004, 02:15 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Matt, it's not a bug-eye vs classic problem.

Pad knock-off is usually a heat/bearing related problem, when excessive heat drains the bearings of lubricant and allows movement (and wear!). And if that's the case, I woudln't be happy until the bearings were checked. Two-piece discs are the easiest solution and if you're a track addict, you'll prolly need alloy calipers, too. It's all about dispersing heat. On a track day, brakes especially get incredible hammer.

Spend thoudands of £££ on a motor that will take you to 100 in 13 secs, then expect a couple of hundred quid's worth of brakes to get you back to land in four secs?! Lap after lap Not on. But AP have the answer

Richard.
Old 17 February 2004, 06:27 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Hoppy,

It *IS* a Bugeye vs Classic in as far as the sense that the bearings/hubs/axles are the same but the bugeye (especially the STi) is heavier hence more flex will make it more likely to happen.

You can get PKO on the STi with a perfectly heathly and low mileage car, obviously, this is also a sign that your bearings might be on the way out but not a 7000 mile old STi with zero track days (or abuse ) before that!

The Brembo calipers are AFAIK already alloy and I know 2 piece discs and AP in general is the way forward but I wanted to make an informed choice, when I get round to making it....

I won't be upgrading my brakes for my next Nurburgring visit anyway so I'll get an idea of how well the OE Brembo's hold up there (long, fast, not many high G corners) vs Hethel (tight, twisty, high G corners!). Besides, if things go to plan then I won't be using the STi for more than the odd track day anyway so I still may not end up bothering to upgrade....

Cheers,

Matt