Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

brake fade - my01 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 12:35 PM
trubwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes perform well at low speed but from high speed not so good. the initial braking effect feels good but then the pedal goes solid and the braking effect seems to reduce. there is not that nice feeling that you can control the last part of the stopping process by pushing harder, if required. it is an unmodified car, recently serviced and all was reported well with the brakes when i raised this point. the back brake discs always look dull and marked not nice and clean like the fronts. i have checked the back discs get hot so they must be working to some effect.
anyone got any thoughts?
Old 12 January 2004, 10:08 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
you don't mention what pads, discs your running (i presume O.E.??)
basically you are exceeding the operating temp of the pads, hence the "fade" - but it also appears that your rears aren't working fully and may actually be causing some of this issue?
feel free to mail or post further info for a more informed opinion..........aspinformation@aol.com
alyn
Old 13 January 2004, 11:42 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OE brakes should take a couple of three figure stops in sucession b4 fade so there may be a problem. However, the OE brakes are not that great for big stops so you might find it worth changing the front pads to DS2500 and see how you get on. They work to a higher tempreture and with those fitted the limiting factor will be the size and cooling ability of the OE disks. But you shouldn't need bigger brakes unless you have increased power (which you haven't)

LoFi