Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Prodrive 330m brake's - how much how soon!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2003, 11:36 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have the Prodrive 330m big brake conversion on my 99uk turbo prez..car came second hand with them fitted.

I find myself being told that they need replaced along with the pad's after only 9000 miles!!! since they were replaced upon my purchase of the car , at a cost of 950 squid the lot..

the car is a daily use car, doing a round trip of only 10 miles per day and being driven by my now ageing father who does not have a heavy foot..the car has never been near a track in its life nor is it driven hard on a regular or even rare basis ...

could someone tell me what i should be expecting mileage wise from these brakes baring in mind ther rather underused life !!! as 100 pound per 1000 miles is to me way out of order...but the price is another issue for a later moan and post.. would appreciate some words of wisdom/advice or fellow drivers who have been hit by what i see as rather poor performance and a shocking asking price to replace..
Old 11 November 2003, 12:07 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few other users have highlighted this point in the past, the way forward seems to be aftermarket two piece discs, from somewhere like Godspeed or Highspec, the first set you have wouldn't be an awful lot cheaper, but from there on in they are, so the choice is yours, a few others will post, most will probably say the same.

Ron.
Old 11 November 2003, 01:10 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have stock disks and pads with 30k and counting on them
OE is the way forward
Old 11 November 2003, 03:11 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

Cool

appreciate the words of wisdom, shall awaite the outcome of my claim and update.....be it good or bad...could be worse, could have a saxo!!
Old 12 November 2003, 11:37 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alcon do replacement two piece rotors - the Alcon Advantage range- but you would need to get an alloy bell made. Godspeed ( S Wales), Hi spec ( Dartford) as mentioned before or various motorpsort garages such as EARS ( ooop North). Alternatively you could use AP rotors with the same alloy bells. Caliper is good it's just the rotors that need sorting.
Old 12 November 2003, 03:22 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

Basicaly im gonna have to fork out some decent amounts of cash...time to be a typical scotsman and complain having to spend money...9000 miles from a pair of disks...my arsss e

Shall look up the recomended places though, aint gonna throw my cash at prodrive anymore, appreciate the help one and all..
Old 14 November 2003, 02:38 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

I'd like to thank prodrive for an almost reasonable outcome on this matter, all be it after a long drawn out process. Almost tempted not to take the PRODRIVE stickers of my car....almost.

i know you like to check the posts!!!!
Old 15 November 2003, 12:18 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

dario, what did Prodrive say m8! as i have that brake conversion?
dave
Old 17 November 2003, 11:45 AM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Can't go into the in's and out's of it, but as it was likley that the caliper could have been sticking and the time my car was of the road as well as issues in getting the suppliers of the parts to PRODRIVE to look at the pad's/discs. I agreed what i see as a slightly fair deal in that we came to an arangement over the cost of the parts!! . All i will say is that should you have any problems / issues , persue it and expect the first claim to be refused but ONLY if you have a good reason for wanting a claim should you keep at em ( cost of parts are a rip off i agree, but that isnt a reason if they have done ther job )

go threw dealer

go to INT MOTORS

try and avoid direct contact with PRODRIVE ( not realy the done thing, only in an extreme case )though they do assist if the case is seen as just/fair...but only then...

i hope all is well with your kit and you dont have any problems, though you will need a re-mortage to replace them!!!