Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

intermittant fault in ABS on MY93 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2003, 10:33 AM
cnjt2003
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My MY93 WRX got broken into recently and the stereo stolen, the criminals tried to silence the alarm by attacking it under the bonnet. The alarm was mounted at the front right, on top of the box of tricks for the ABS. Since then, the ABS has only worked intermittantly and there seems to be a loose connection or something. The warni ng light comes on 80% of the time, especially if the car has been standing for a while. I reckon they probably tried to smash the alarm and damaged the ABS in the process. Has anyone had any experience of a similar problem? Any ideas of anything to check or test? Any help or suggestions would be welcome. I am fearful of an expensive bill!

Cheers

Chris
Old 10 November 2003, 05:37 PM
MikeIdaho
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chris,

I'm not too well-informed of the inner workings of any type of motor vehicle, yet I have a problem with my '96 Outback that sounds much like yours. My ABS has been working intermittently over the past year, only when I apply very hard pressure to the brakes. The ABS light would come on, I turn the car off, turn it on, and it will work just fine. More recently, the light came on to stay. My ABS gear box began making a tapping/whirring noise even after I shut off the engine. I knocked it a bit with a screwdriver, and it stopped. The ABS light turned off and it seems to be working ok, but my plan is to take it to my Subaru dealer to check it out. If you have discovered the cause of your problem and know of an easy way to fix it, please let me know. I'm trying to save some cash on repairs. Thanks and good luck,

Mike