Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

cant decide what brakes are best advice wanted please

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2003, 09:38 PM
subarustuff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi every one please help 2001 wrx standard brakes at the moment
are bigger callipers really that much better?
Old 09 October 2003, 09:44 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

In a word .....YES

Would be the first mod i do on any scoob

Depends what usage you want, AP 6 pots are the nuts, prodrive alcons work well aswell.
Old 10 October 2003, 08:32 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
there are lots of issues here......what are you trying to achieve?? what type do driving do you do & use the car for?? what sort of budget do you have??
all of these things will influence the "best" option for yourself, more than other people's opinion.........

if you need any specifc advice feel free to mail me.......
alyn - asperformance.com
Old 11 October 2003, 03:57 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes bigger calipers and disk makes a big difference. But I wonder if by asking the question you think the OEM brakes are pretty good? Compared with the TSL 6pots I've had fitted with 335mm disks I can assure you the original brakes are no match. Braking power is now huge, for my type of driving I now never 'hope' there is more brake power in reserve, because there always is. With the original brakes I often had 'oh ****' moments.

So I agree with the above, huge difference, but think carefully about your needs, it's not a cheap upgrade, but well worth it.

LoFi
Old 11 October 2003, 07:30 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

How much for the TSL 6 Pots?
Old 11 October 2003, 07:55 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

I have orignal 4pots, Prodrive discs and PAgid RS 42 pads, together with Castrol SRF fluid and stainless steel brake lines it brake weel above normal average...
Of course there is always bigger, but I use 16'wheels with slicks for airfield track driving so that would be no option for me...

Creepy
Old 12 October 2003, 12:46 PM
BART!
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

FIRST UPGRADE STANDARD BRAKES, DECIDE ONE BRAKEPAD-SET LATER !

Bigger is better but also more expensive , logical isn't it ?
The standard calipers are great -no discussion possible- however the standard brakepads are a compromise and need to work both when they are cold and hot, and have to be used by different type of users, also ones who don't want to change pads every 7500 miles....same goes for the brakehoses and brakefluid...all a compromise between costs and expected average use...

Best thing to do is to start upgrading by fitting steelbraided hoses, DOT5.1 brakefluid and upgraded pads (personally recommend Pagid RSxx types - RS15 is e.g. used in 'group N' )
It's a 'cheap' upgrade which may not dramatically improve brakepower compared to e.g.'6-pots' but gives a great improvement in consistancy and gives an overall feeling of trust !

If this is still not to your liking you can always change to bigger brakes (when your upgraded pads are gone) and keep the good things already installed like the hoses and brakefluid...

I drive about 10 trackdays a year and use upgraded standard brakes as well (also with big cooling hoses and brakecylinder bracket)
with Scoobysport/Pagid discs and pads and although discs don't last as long as 'big' ones, the £/Mile is much, much lower and performance difference is mainly in the hands of the driver .....

Bye,
Matthijs