Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Vibration... again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2003, 05:50 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well here we go again -

I have a vibration between 60 and 80 (on a private road of course). I had the discs re-finished and grooved by hi-spec who manufactured the brakes on Saturday.

Well I've had the wheels re-balanced (one was 45 grams out!!!) - Still there
I have had the brakes off, cleaned and ensured they are snug against the hub - Still there
Tyre pressures checked - Still there

It's constant and doesn't change with braking (So I think the discs are not warped especially as they were only re-finished Saturday!!!)

no noises apparent knocking, whining etc....

WTF is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it bearing, drive shaft AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 30 September 2003, 09:35 PM
mikeDaBike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had and (fingers crossed) just sorted out the same problem.

New Pagid grooved discs/pads bedded in as instruted and had the same symptoms as yourself, but not just between 60 and 80, but at any speed above about 60/70, the faster the worse it was. Got wheels balanced, geometery re-checked, etc, etc, still the same problem. Took the discs back to Midland Impreza who to their credit replaced them free of charge (thanks lads!). All went ok and I re-bedded them to the letter but once I started using them hard again the same problems started.

This was driving me mad but after reading just about everything I could on the matter, especially the "warped brake disc myth" article, I decided to give them one last try at sorting them out. Out to the Peak District and gave them about six or seven 80-10mph emergency stops (not quite triggering the abs, but as hard as you can stop). No break in-between sets, so it was 80-10, straight back up to 80, back to 10. After this I drove slowly through a village without using the brakes for about 1 mile and they had miraculously sorted themselves out. No vibration at all even at 100mph+. I'm a very happy man

So, I guess it was just uneven pad deposits on the discs which obviously need some pretty brutal treatment to sort out.

I'm not saying this is guarenteed to work for everyone, but give it ago before junking another set of discs.