Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Godspeed Brake kits

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2003, 09:14 AM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking for a brake upgrade that will cope with track days and well as week-end driving. I have 4 pot Units with Origianl disks. Now i did see the godspeed kit which comprised of:-

Pair of red Brembo four pot calipers
Godspeed discs and alloy bells
Godspeed alloy mounting brackets and all hardware
Ferodo DS2000 pads
Pair of braided hoses
335mm Full Kit - £950

Which is a competative price, but on calling a few companies for modifications i was warned off them...Is this setup going to suffice or is this salesmen trying to make me move towards a £1,700 conversion. They warned of warping disks and cracked disc's etc. If this is the case why sell the upgrades in the first place???? Any views apprecaited as i would like to order them when godspped back off holiday...
Old 28 September 2003, 10:14 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the first set of discs i had did indeed have a crack and did warp they were changed but they are now starting to warp again. they haven't been on any track days just a 6 mile trip to work and back and the usual dual carrigeway fast road thing
Old 28 September 2003, 11:39 AM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Is that standard???Not covered by godspeed?
Old 28 September 2003, 12:29 PM
Dougy Giro
Scooby Regular

I have the exact setup you're talking about, except i went for the DS2500 pads (which if you're going on track - you'll prob need as a minimum).

Had mine on for 6 months or so now. Wasnt that impressed initially. I suppose i expected a "head to windscreen" stop immediately. But i presevered (spelling???) and bedded em in as one of the "white papers" on stoptech site (i think thats the name).

Now when you you stand on em - What a fantastic difference. It stands on its nose nearly. Brilliant.

As for cracking n warping etc - we'll mine havent done either. Admittedly i havent been on track. But i'm a heavy user of brakes and i do USE EM !!

I had to give my car to my girlfriend for a couple of weeks (yes i know!!! - But i had no choice!!). Anyhow after i got it back from her the brakes were vibrating as though they were warpped!!! I wasnt happy - only 2 month old!!! I read on scoobynet (i think) that this could be a build of uneven dust (or whatever it is) on the disc, and the suggestion was to basically hammer the brakes. So i did. It worked a treat. 3 or 4 highspeed heavy stops and they were sortted.

Another thing is the fact that Godspeed are the only company that will guarantee their discs for track use.!! So you're covered both was arnt you ?

Cheers
Dave

PS - Mine are 325mm discs - Do they come in 335mm now?

Eddited to say - Just been on Godspeed sit n seen new 335mmk kit.
- My girlfriend only did 5 mile a day in heavy commuter traffic - hence build up - i think.

[Edited by Dougy Giro - 9/28/2003 12:32:48 PM]
Old 28 September 2003, 02:39 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

they were the 325mm drilled and grooved type he did change them under warranty but the second set are are starting to warp now so overall im not that impressed
Old 28 September 2003, 04:37 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

mmm...if this is the case what are people recommending brake wise for a reasonable price..around £1,000 as dont want to fork out £1,700 on brakes...that £700 could be doing better things in my account - ie, calming the wife down after she see's i've bought te new brakes..:-)

So suggestions for brakes guys budget £1,000...that dont warp/crack for week-end driving and occasional trackday use(2 more this year - then starting back next year full on...????)

Currently have standard RA 4 Pot's with ferodo pads(going on next friday)..
Old 28 September 2003, 05:08 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People have had problems with AP brkae discs, but that doesn't mean they're sh!te.

I've had Ian's kit on my RB5 for the past 4 months now. At the beginning I had bad vibration, but this was simply down to the protective covering on the discs taking some weeks to wear off.

Drilled discs are slightly more prone to developing small cracks, so I stuck with grooved ones.

Running Ferodo DS2500 pads and DOT 5 fluid. Since they;ve bedded in I've never had any problems whatsoever. Would highly receommend them for the money.

What big kits have been recommended to you??

I've heard bad stories about Hi-Spec kits and discs, so spending £1500 doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the best.

AP's I think would be overkill for road use unless you're particularly heavy on the brakes and do miles & miles of fast driving.

I've covered 40-miles on very quiet A-roads in the Scottish Borders and they never faded or let me down in 30 mins of very hard driving.

Stefan

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2003, 05:19 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention that when I "thought" my discs had warped due to the bad vibration, Ian kindly sent me a spare set of disc and alloy bells.

Turned out I never needed them, but can't fault Ian for such as service.

Stefan
Old 28 September 2003, 05:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

I've got the kit you are talking about except with 325 mm discs.
I do a fair bit of fast driving, but no trackdays. I have also towed a caravan, and so far, have had zero probs with these, as I had with Ian's discs b4,(zero probs I mean). the originals were 325mm again, but with Godpeed's own calipers.
Mine are drilled and grooved.

BTW: you ought to read the Stoptech site carefully: they say that VERY FEW discs actually warp. Problems are caused by poor bedding in ,and uneven build up of deposits, caused by poor bedding in..........:
Alcazar
Alcazar
Old 28 September 2003, 05:31 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yip Godspeed are a great bit of kit.

I've just sold mines, but would buy another set no problem

Never had any problems with them warping or cracking....
Old 28 September 2003, 05:57 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I think warping is a bit of a myth when it comes to road cars. As soon as any disc starts misbehaving or causing vibration, people naturally assume it's 'warped'.

The only way to prove the discs has warped is to have them measured properly. Other than that it's just hearsay or conjecture.

The only issue I could forsee is from the Subaru 4-pots themselves. Mine were over 4 years old when I fitted Ians kit, so it's possible that the condition and performance of the pistons would have more of an influence than Ians discs.

Can't comment on how the Brembo calipers compare to the Subaru items.

Stefan
Old 28 September 2003, 08:32 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Kane,
If you have the standard subaru calipers, then you don't need the brembo ones, therefore the kit you need is the 335mm kit, but it retains the standard caliper, but with a spacer in between to allow for the thicker disc, I have this kit on mine, and I am very hard on brakes, I have had no trouble at-all, get grooved discs, not drilled, as they have a tendancy to crack, I use mintex 1144 pads, and they are awesome, I did a trackday in the summer, and after a solid 45 mins on track they didn't fade, or go 'off' at-all, they were amazing.
If you spend an awful lot of time on track, then you may feel the need to spend stupid money on brakes, but if it's occasional use, then the Godspeed kit will be fine.
Ian is a one man band, and he's on holiday until the 11th Oct, (I think) si don't expect a response top mails or the phone, cos he ain't there!!!
Being a one man band all helps keep the cost of the kits down, most other firms have receptionists etc, this all adds to the cost!! Ian answers his own phone, but not if he's got a machine running, so even when he's back off hols, you may need to leave a message.
Others will say all sorts to put you off of Godspeed, but, you tell me which other firm that makes brakes where you can ring and speak to the bloke that makes them!!!
This is the second Godspeed kit that I've had, and that was due to a further upgrade, not a problem!

Ron.
Old 30 September 2003, 09:39 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My mates (non SNetter) has got the full 335mm kit with all the bolts, disks, bells and spacers in a box in his spare room. They were fitted to his P1 when he bought it, but the dealer he took it to for servicing talked him into new standard disk and pads by using the warranty card.

It was all a ploy to sell him some parts, but hes happy with the standard set-up.

Ill ask if he wants to sell, if you are interested?
Old 30 September 2003, 11:11 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Yes please m8 ask him - as long as its the full kit etc.- appreciate that..

I would only be doing maybe 4/5 trackdays a year(mixed tracks)and going on what you guys have said(which i have taken on board)I think i will wait and speak to Ian when he gets back.
Old 05 October 2003, 07:38 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Kane,

I have emailed you by your profile, but no reply

He does want to sell, but he wants to recoup the £350 cost of the new brakes and fitting charges.

Let me know if you want them as I have had two other enquiries via this thread. But technically you are first in line.
Old 05 October 2003, 12:17 PM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

Hol.

What brand are the disks...?

Regards

Kev

Old 05 October 2003, 01:17 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

anyone know if this 335mm kit fits behind std my99 16" wheels ?

i'm fitting mine this week (behind 19's) but wanna know if i can still use my spare 16" wheels for a track day ?

Should wait till the end of the week really, after i've fitted the brakes - all i'd have to do is offer a wheel up ! !
Old 05 October 2003, 02:19 PM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

IPALMER.

What kit did you buy and where did you buy it...?

Kev
Old 05 October 2003, 03:52 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Emailed you back m8. If scoobyKev wants them thats ok - i have just fitted some new pads at power station to get me through track day - will assess fade on the day - if its as bad as i think it will be then i will email you again on tuesday..
Old 05 October 2003, 05:04 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

ScoobyKev

i've bought these from Scoty

brakes

Old 05 October 2003, 07:03 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

IPalmer, I have the Big AP330 disk on my car and I need to have 17's on the front.

Not what you wanted to hear.

I have emailed everyone who wanted this Godspeed 335kit my mate has. Ill give all those people 48hrs some and then Im advertisng them for him on For Sale for £350.00.
Old 07 October 2003, 08:50 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

The 335 kit needs at least 17's, sorry!!!!
Old 07 October 2003, 09:33 AM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

cheers

i have got some 17's that i've just taken off , looks like i'll have to keep 'em as well !
Old 08 October 2003, 06:22 AM
WR-MIKE
Scooby Regular

Hol, if you have no reply from the others could you email me re your mates godspeed kit as I am very interested (depending on the condition of the discs) thanks, Mike.