Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Continental Sport Contact Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2003, 02:02 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

My local place is quoting these to me (205/50/R16, V Rated) for £320 a set of four, fully inclusive and fully fitted. Sounds ok to me compared to SO3's which he's quoting about £380 for four.

He's not a Scooby driver, but obviously he knows his tyres, and overall rates the Continentals at least as good as the Bridgestones and Toyo's (which he cant even supply). The clincher for me here is that he's not trying to sell me a more expensive tyre!

So I am not sure and advice would be appreciated.

Worth mentioning that SO2's on there now, which have been ok, but I dont have anything to compare them to, as they have been on there since I've had the car.

Also, although I dont drive like a Granny, I do drive with the intention that myself, my passengers and all the members of the public remain safe and sound when I am around - point is, the tyres dont have to get me round a race track, they just have to be able to deal better with everyday road hazzards - rain, diesel, kids etc, you get the picture.

Thanks in advance.

Asif
Old 23 September 2003, 11:28 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i had the conti's on my 172 sport before getting my Scooby - be ware - they wear very quickly - even without pushing them hard
Old 24 September 2003, 06:46 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I don't recall ever coming across anyone using these on their scoob. Hopefully you'll get more feedback before you have to decide.

Personally, I'd go for tried and tested. You may save £60 over the SO3, but IF they're crap, you'll want to change 'em and that will mean you've wasted £320!

I've had SO3 on the original wheels and they were OK. Also had Toyos on 17s and they were good. I know Bridgestone's are usually expensive, but you might want to shop around a bit more - get prices for Goodyear Eagle F1 and Toyo T1S. Even on 17"s you should be paying £340 - £400. 16"s should be quite a bit cheaper.
Old 25 September 2003, 07:22 PM
Coulster
Scooby Regular

Hi mate. recently got 4 toyo proxes t1-s fitted
Same size 205/50/16 for £330 incl Vat, fitting and balancing.
try www.mytyres.co.uk think they are £72.00 each so u just have to pay to get them fitted and balanced.
I got it done local for convienience.
Oh I find the toyos very good in both the dry and the wet.
Entirely up to. I went with these as these were on the car when I bought it.

[Edited by Coulster - 9/25/2003 7:25:10 PM]
Old 25 September 2003, 08:39 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, appreciated.

Should have done more shopping around I suppose! I realised that all four tyres were quite illegal, plus one seemed to have a slow puncture, so no more mucking about and got the Conti's fitted.

If you hear about me crashing then I dont recommend the tyres!

In the meantime, I am a little curious as to the popularity of the Toyo's, wasn't it a little while ago and it was only SO2's? Isn't it just a fashion thing?

Just curious, although it will be thought of that I am bound to say that!

Cheers

Asif
Old 25 September 2003, 10:53 PM
richiewong
Twatful

EVO Magazine did a tyre test a while back. The Goodyear GSD3 came first, Continental Sport Contact second and Toyo Proxes T1-S third.
When I got my scoob it had stard 16's with the Sport Contact fitted. Good tyre in the dry but gave up the ghost in the wet and on loose surfaces, including gritted roads, they were lethal (could also be that I didn't adjust my DCCD to conditions therefore some tail out action)
If you read the tyre test a lot of results were "subjective" opinions but the Toyo's scored consistently high throughout and I've got these fitted to my Speedlines and use the 'Snowprox' for winter.
Old 26 September 2003, 11:18 AM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about the fashion thing Asif - the reason SO2 are no longer recommended is 'cos they're no longer available. The replacement SO3 are very different. Expect a full report on the Conti - shall we say at 2000ml intervals?
Old 26 September 2003, 11:41 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Hi Rich, lol.

Yes mate you can have a full report, perhaps when we meet next? To be honest I have not had time to go a single meet since the Surrey one in April/May? Cant remember when.

Of course you are correct about the SO2's, but I will see. As I am still unemployed financial considerations are important too, so for what appear to be four good tyres, all in for £320 I am not complaining.

Next time I will try the Toyo's and see how they compare.

Right now I am taking it easy on the tyres, went for a run up the M40 to Banbury yesterday (job interview) and took it slow.

If you want to see for yourself, then next time we meet we'll go for a spin mate.

Asif

[Edited by AsifScoob - 9/26/2003 1:47:20 PM]

[Edited by AsifScoob - 9/26/2003 1:47:58 PM]