Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

STI7 Tyre Pressures - Can I deflate?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2003, 08:37 PM
Ian236
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if it would be safe and practical to deflate the tyres a few PSI on my STI7 as it would seem that the rear setting of 1.9 bar is for four passengers and a small boot load.

I normally travel on my own or at most with one passenger and the ride at 1.9 bar on the rears is absolutely awful - so much so that my wife will not travel with me, I know that some of you may see this as a bonus, but to be honest even I find the ride to be dreadful on anything but the smoothest of surfaces and I feel that it actually affects the way that I drive it in trying to avoid pot holes, ruts and even paper bags.

I even bought a pressure gauge to double check the setting - I have owned the car since new and it has now done 10K miles so I think that I have tried it for long enough.

I love everything about the car except the bloody awful ride - there must be a compromise somewhere - I would even consider changing all the suspension setup if I thought it would improve the town ride without compromising the handling too much - adjustable setup maybe?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated and I apologise if this topic has been covered before but I usually stick to the General technical area of the site.

Thanks.

Ian