Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What Pads + Brakes??????

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2003, 06:15 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Being the new kid on the block with a scooby I've got a MY03 with PPP and somebody asked if I'd upgraded the pads or brakes.

Now as the PPP was done by Subaru I assume (rightly or wrongly) that if the pads or brakes need upgrading they would've suggested that to me or are they done automatically?

If I need to upgrade what would be best? Speed fecking lovely but I would like to stop!!

So far no probs with the brakes even after the ragging round Brands

Old 09 September 2003, 07:57 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

I think you already have the very good Brembo 4 pots up front Andy with 2 pots up rear don't you ?

If so go for braided hoses, DOT 5.1 fluid and either Ferodo DS2500's or IMHO the better Mintex 1155's or trackorthy 1166's...no squeel and I have a cheap supplier

If not...AP 6 pots are the daddies of all brakes....as you'll see on the Scoobyscene RA
Old 09 September 2003, 07:59 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Now as the PPP was done by Subaru I assume (rightly or wrongly) that if the pads or brakes need upgrading they would've suggested that to me or are they done automatically?
Er, no. PPP applies to the engine only. There are separate Prodrive approved upgrades for the suspension and brakes.

If I need to upgrade what would be best? Speed fecking lovely but I would like to stop!!
How much do you want to spend, and are you talking about an STi with the 330mm Brembo brakes, or the standard WRX 294mm units? If the latter, going for a bigger front brake kit will do wonders, not just to your car's ability to stop, but to its ability to stop repeatedly and consistently.

If you don't want to go that far, changing the standard front pads for something like Pagid RS4.2.1, Mintex M1155 or Ferodo DS2500, braided brake lines and a high temperature racing fluid will go a hell of a long way.

So far no probs with the brakes even after the ragging round Brands
Lol! If you're talking about the 294's, it sounds like you weren't trying anywhere near hard enough if you didn't manage to cook/fade the standard setup!

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/9/2003 8:02:12 PM]
Old 09 September 2003, 08:29 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Talking

IMHO the best value for money brake upgrade is the Godspeed kit with 335mm x 28mm discs and upgraded pads. Costs about £550. Almost but not as good as the £1800 AP kit.
Stan
Old 10 September 2003, 01:05 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info so far.Brake fade and lots of smell did occurr but that just may have been the passenger getting worried that the tyrewall looked damn close at the end of the back straight!!

Good job leather is fitted so easy to clean.LOL

Seriously though if I do any of these will it impair my warranty??
Any additional help/info would be grand
Old 10 September 2003, 03:03 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Warranty is a sticky issue. Theoretically anything that isn't Subaru UK/Prodrive approved will invalidate your warranty, but in practice, in the event of a failure, IM will usually use a fair bit of common sense. In other words, if your engine blows and they find non-OE brake pads in, you shouldn't have reason to worry.

Other issue is with your insurer, and checking with them to find out what mods are notifiable. Changing pad compounds probably isn't, but putting a big brake kit on almost certainly would be.

As far as specific recommendations go, you haven't yet told us whether you have a standard WRX or an STi. Need to know that before we can suggest appropriate courses of action.
Old 10 September 2003, 03:59 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sorry Grease Monkey its a MY03WRX SL with PPP
Old 10 September 2003, 04:07 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Yep, changing the pads for one of the three options mentioned above plus the brake lines and fluid will produce a big improvement. If you're not stressing the current setup, that may be all you need.

If/when you do feel the need to go further, the Prodrive big brake kit available from your dealer is probably the most logical option, bearing in mind the age of your car, warranty issues and potential trade-in value.
Old 10 September 2003, 04:14 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Thanks Greasemonkey I'm teaming up with Chris tomorrow he said he has a cheap supplier so I'l grab the contact info and go with your reccommendations
Old 10 September 2003, 04:19 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

You could do a lot worse than try Performance Braking on 01600 713117.
Old 10 September 2003, 04:22 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Will do that , Cheers.