Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Odd ABS problem after having new brakes....

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2003, 06:13 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

Dunno if anyone else has come across this..... I have just had a set of 310mm disks and 4 pot clipers supplied and fitted by a company who shall rename nameless for the time being. Ferrodo DS2500 pads and ATE blue fluid, standard 16" wheels. When I brake hard or relatively hard, all is OK. However if you are trundling along at say 30, then slowly brake to a stop, at about 3mph, the ABS "buzzes" and kicks back through the pedal, not like normal ABS action, the pedal height will change slightly. The road is definitely not slippery.

I queried this with the company and they said it should "settle down" after approx 250 miles. I'm not convinced. The only "odd" thing that turned up as the disks were fitted is that the hall effect sensors were at lot closer to the "bumps" of metal on one side than the other, and the back plate rotated freely on one side but not the other as it was all being taken apart.

Any ideas anyone, what could be the cause and fix? (The company said it must have been a pre existing problem and had nothing to do with them BTW :-( )
Old 29 August 2003, 08:23 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Have to say my MY01 did just that until I changed ti Toyo tyres, when it did the ABS thing less, then I changed the brakes to bigger ones and the low speed ABS business seems to have all but disappeared. So not much help but it could be down to an increase in unsprung weight or poor tyres. Just my experiences.

LoFi
Old 29 August 2003, 09:55 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The only thing I could think of was the sensor had been knocked and was too far away from the "bumps" and so wasnt reading the wheel speed correctly, but looking elsewhere on the board, ppl seem to think its a faulty sensor. *sigh*, I've got no warning light so how am I sposed to test that!?

Bloody cars!