Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

scraping noise with Pagid pads

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2003, 05:37 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have just fitted a new set of pagid RS4.2.1 Pads and 8 groove discs to my MY99 four pots. When i took the standard pads out they had two metal spacer plates behind them which i just put back in with the new pads. Now when i am driving along with the window open at about 20 - 30 mph i can hear a light scraping noise from the brakes. It goes away if i brake lightly. Is this noise normal or do i need to remove the spacing plates from behind the pads.

Dan
Old 20 August 2003, 12:52 PM
Mike Stokes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't recall any noise when I had RS421's in my own MY00 with those discs, have a bit of noise now with the RS42's, but nothing excessive. I was warned by the supplier that I may experience some noise from them and yes, it goes away when the brakes are applied gently. Leave the anti-squeal shims in place, they're not the cause of the noise.

HTH

Mike
Old 20 August 2003, 02:32 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Any one else had any experiences with this noise? At the moment it looks as though it is normal but i am still a bit worried that it might be causing unnecessary wear and tear and maybe heating up the brake fluid?

Dan
Old 20 August 2003, 05:24 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Danny Boy
I have the same setup as you on a MY99 there is very little noise on mine, i left the the anti squeal shims in, if you have any concern about the brakes binding, jack the car up, and rotate the wheel it should move freely, but you will here the pads scraping on the disc's.
hope this helps
Old 20 August 2003, 05:43 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

If you are worried about heating the fluid take the car for a drive then touch the disk. If it is really hot then it is probably rubbing a bit too much, if not then it could just be the pads bedding in and remember that the discs are now grooved so there are edges for the pads to catch until bedded properly.
Were the pistons pushed right in before putting the new pads in? You could try removing the pads, push the pistons back in then put the pads back in!
I have a set of RS15s on mine and haven't hear them, although I do have a HKS exhaust which drowns out most things!!!