Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

P-Zero's - Is it just me or are they C##p

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2003, 09:29 PM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1 Zeros are crap. I've had Toyos before which are cheaper and was very impressed, especially in the wet. I'm just coming to the end of my Pirelli life and am ready to put on my newly purchased Goodyear F1's, which are supposedly better than Toyo's.

J

[Edited by jamesjones - 7/4/2003 9:39:14 PM]
Old 04 July 2003, 07:08 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Hi all

Having only been an Impreza owner now for 4 weeks I fear I may have just dropped a large Tyre sized ********..

I have shod my 98 terzo with 4x 17" P-Zero's as per the direction of the previous owner.... (17" Speedline wheels as per Prodrive upgrade)

Suffice to say I'm not that impressed. In the dry all seams well but for the first time in the wet the other day I was worried. I was getting horendous understear and can only summarise the wet weather performance as scary...

I have heard many people rave about the impreza handling in the wet for years now but being at the wheel on Wednesday was a real worry...

Can I have some advice from you guys in the know please. Is it just the tyres or should I be trying something else.

If it is the treads what do you recommend??

Help if poss

listy - Terzo116
Old 04 July 2003, 08:35 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Wink

pirelli's are poor m8! to be stickier, go for toyo t1-s's. you will radically feel the difference!
Old 04 July 2003, 08:54 PM
steveho
Scooby Regular

Are they a directional fit,are they on the right side,pressures correct?

steve
Old 04 July 2003, 09:45 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Toyo T1S are good in the wet.

What PZeros did you get? There are 3 kinds, 2 of which are crap: neros and rossos are crap, ASSIMMETRICOS are good, but not in the wet. They are actually very good on dry roads. Lots of grip and very progressive.

I just got Toyos T1S Proxes and it's dry here. Only done 3 miles with them. Got them because they were cheap. I'll let you know how I find them.
Old 05 July 2003, 10:09 AM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Got the Assimetricos.......

Definately fine in the dry but in fareness if they continue to perform so badly in the wet they'll have to go....

Be intrested to here how things go with the F1's....

Oh well.... you live and learn eh... shame you have to learn at £130.00 a corner but Cest La Vie.... lol

Cheers Guys..

Listy - Terzo116
Old 05 July 2003, 11:45 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Listy, all tyres take a while to 'scrub in' and for the mould release compounds to dissapear so don't give up on them just yet!

Trending Topics

Old 05 July 2003, 01:34 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Well, yeah, in the wet they're pretty crap. Pirelli is an Italian tyre company, and it doesnt rain much in Italy, you know...

Anyway, production for PZeros ASSIMMETRICOS has stopped. When buying new ones, check the date of construction and make sure it isnt older than 6 months. Tyres you buy are typically 3 months old. The date is stamped on the sidewall in the following format: WWYY, where WW is the week number (from 01 to 52) and YY the year (from 02 to 03 these days). The tyres I bought yesterday were 0703, 7th week of 2003, ie late February.

It's summer now, keep them till Autumn and either sell or store them
Old 05 July 2003, 08:36 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As you've noticed , fine in the dry and poor in the wet, however this makes them a great fun wet weather track day tyre (I have 8 Pzero's in my basement, together with a couple of sets of slicks and some old SO2's, which make appearances at various times during the year) . Do as Claudius suggested and give them death over the summmer and then get an old set of 17" wheels and use them for playing on track in the winter - good way to learn car control without hitting anything. When you do replace them, I would go for Toyo Proxes (decent compromise all rounder).
Old 05 July 2003, 10:55 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Got Toyos yesterday, got to try them out today, run in on motorway and give them some stick on the back roads. They feel very wobbly with 2.2 bar pressure, even when hot. Very comfortable though.

Should I increase the pressure? Do they get better once rubbed in properly? Grip is ok, but they lack precision. Very weird
Old 06 July 2003, 01:21 AM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Had p zero rossos on 18" rims on 01 bugeye, they were the most dangerous tyre I had ever had , lethal in the wet did not inspire any confidence , swapped them for Falken f451,s no probs but do tramline as they are approaching end of life.
Old 06 July 2003, 03:36 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

I changed from P-Zero's to Toyo's and as you said the P-Zero's are crap in the wet, the Toyo's are a far better tyre.

Claudius I also found the Toyo's to be a bit vague when I first had them fitted but they feel fine now 2 months down the line, I not sure if the tyres have scrubed in so they are better or ive just got used to the feel of the tyre.

Andy
Old 06 July 2003, 06:15 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
i found that too claudius. I now run 2PSI more in the tyre than i did with SO2's and its made them much better for stability. They felt pretty horible on my old settings, so try playing with the presures.

I wouldnt dream of running the Pirelli tyre that was fitted as standard to the P1, they are scary, very very poor grip levels compared to SO2 or T1S.
Old 06 July 2003, 06:25 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Claudius, i agree with John re the pressures, but don't forget that the releasing agent will still be on the toyos for a few hundred KM - they settle down after that.
Old 07 July 2003, 11:12 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Yes, there is some sort of protective stuff on them to keep the rubber characteristics stable even when the tyre is in the sun etc., but I dont think it's that. That would influence the grip, wouldnt it, not the sidewall flex?

The load rating is pretty low at 87W, so I suppose pressure increase is the answer here.

John, when you say 2 PSI, is that 2 PSI on all 4 tyres over the standard recommended pressure or 2 PSI more than what you usually run (or is that the same?)?

My car is a 97 MY Impreza GT on 17 x 7 Technomagnesio wheels with 215 x 40 / 17 T1S. Oh, without a rear spoiler. You do the math!
Old 07 July 2003, 02:06 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
2PSI over what i would normally use with SO2's, i never go off manufacturer recomendations for tyre presures, i work them out for myself (and the size is diferent to standard anyway so doesnt work).

I run 35PSI front, 33PSI rear cold presures in my 225/35x18 T1S
Old 07 July 2003, 11:37 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Releasing agent is the gunk that they put in the moulds when making the tyres so that they release themselves from the moulds easily,it's a sort of wax, not sun block The dearly lamented S02's were buggers for this, but it does wear off and the tyres come good eventually. Motorway miles, being straightline, don't get rid of it very quickly, b road stuff and big roundabouts etc are the boys for this.Enjoy

Edited to say that i run 36 front 34 rear cold on 215/40/17's

[Edited by Fat Boy - 7/7/2003 11:38:28 PM]