Calling all MY01/02 owners

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2003, 04:36 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

What are your standard brakes like?

Mine are absolutely crap, really have to push the pedal to the floor to stop the car and to a degree they feel worse than the standard 2 pots on my old 96.

Are the standard brakes really this poor and I need an upgrade or is it possible there's something wrong.

A quick inspection doesn't reveal any problems and they do actually stop the car, just not very well

Any thoughts/comments much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris
Old 17 June 2003, 05:01 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

Drove it back to back with a 2000 car before buying one and the improvement in the brakes was one of the most noticeable things.

They may not be the ultimate but they seem pretty good to me.
Just recently put Pagid blue pads on and I'd say they are plenty good enough for this sort of car.

Mark
Old 17 June 2003, 05:24 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Cool

Never driven another Scooby other than my 02 WRX with PPP and I must say I don't have a problem with the brakes but I can't compare to another Scoob.

IMHO there is plenty of feel to them and will stop you from a reasonable amount of speed when needed. They do have their limits but I wouldn't say there were bad.
Old 17 June 2003, 08:38 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Agree with Mark. There is a big improvement between the MY00 and MY01 brakes. Chris - I'd get the car into a dealer and get them checked. You shouldn't have that much travel in the brake pedal (certainly haven't had it in any of the MY01 Scoobs that I've driven).

Chris
Old 18 June 2003, 08:34 AM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Chris, I fitted a set of Goodridge s/steel hoses with some decent 5.1 fluid to the standard 4 pots. This firmed up the pedal feel no end. Cost around £55 for both plus fitting well worth it.
Old 18 June 2003, 11:26 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies,

Not due a service for a while so might take it into dealer for a look next week.

Cheers

Chris
Old 18 June 2003, 10:12 PM
tonyv
Scooby Regular

I have a jap import STI wagon with the four pot disks and have the same problem, changed to drilled disks and ebc redstuf pads but still not as goods as my MY00 STI.Only done 500 miles with them so for so they might bed in but there is a slight improvement.
Tony
Old 18 June 2003, 10:56 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may well be daft, but aren't the same brakes fitted to both the my00 cars, like mine, and the my01's???
Surely with the extra weight of the 01, the brakes would be worse, surely they didn't mess around with pad material, or did they?
Ron.
Old 19 June 2003, 02:04 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

I've had no problem with my std My02 brakes until I added the SR40 with Tek3, injectors etc...since having it done (about 3 weeks ago), I've cooked the front brakes 3 times (once with smoke coming off them!). I've added cooling ducts direct to the pots, plus fitted DBA rear disks, but need upgrade on fronts (waiting for larger OZ's).

If your pads have been cooked a few times, then they'll be crap (mine feel about 60% of the original braking force now). Had a dealer loan car MY01 a few times and that had really naff brakes...the pads were very hard and needed loads of effort to stop.
Old 19 June 2003, 09:08 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Speaking to Graham at TSL when I had the brakes on my MY01 upgraded he mentioned that there seems to be a great deal of inconsistency on the brake action on new age cars. Some have a short pedal some a long one (like the one Chris mentions). He said there seemed no reason for it unless there were differences in the manufacture of the master cylinder. My pedal was quite long. There has been a reasonable degree of improvement to the pedal feel but I previously always found the brakes the worse part of the car.

LoFi
Old 21 June 2003, 10:07 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

RON - IIRC, the MY01 on has a much stiffer bulkhead where the master cylinder is mounted. Therefore, you don't waste pedal effort flexing the bulkhead, and the brakes feel a lot more positive as a result.

My MY02 brakes feel good. I drive a lot of hire cars etc at work, and my brakes feel better than any of them. Don't doubt I'd fade them on the track, but that's the consequence of plenty of weight and 285bhp.
Old 22 June 2003, 02:53 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

Had 2 bugeyes now and both had fab brakes as new but after 10K became spongy and weak.
Esp so with the current PPP car. Changed to new pads and realised just how small they are. I do drive the car hard but i still feel the brakes are far too weak fo the power. I reckon I've boiled the fluid and possibly knackered the disks as they have a slight judder.
Look at the disks on other quick cars SEAT, Ford RS, 3.2 Golf etc even my mates Skoda rs has far more powerful brakes.
I think it's a serious cost cutting flaw in the car . It needs STI brakes as standard and a stronger clutch.
I would put prodrive ones on but I'd not see a penny back at resale.