Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

MY03 braking problem

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2003, 09:34 PM
Matski
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks,

Have been driving my MY03 WRX for some 2000 miles now and on four or five occasions the brakes have acted strangely. It generally happens when braking fairly sharpishly from about 40mph down to a stop. Basically when I press the brake pedal there is a sort of delay followed by a split second of grinding before the brakes kick in.

I've attempted a few emergency stops and this doesnt seem to happen under very heavy braking. It hasnt happened very often but it scares the sh*t out of me when it does. Car is booked in to local dealer for a look next week but I was wondering whether anyone else had experienced anything similar.

That said I still havent stoppped grinning while driving.

Cheers in advance,

Matt.
Old 16 June 2003, 04:10 PM
mbushy007
Scooby Regular

I get the same mate, mines in today to be checked out but they have just rung and said its all been check out and there ok so i asked them to check them again for me as it has scared the **** out of me as well they are saying that all that is, is the abs but it definately aint!!!!
Old 16 June 2003, 08:20 PM
Boxerbeat
Scooby Newbie

Question

At last! I am not the only one!
I have a MY01 which was fine until about 16k miles then quite suddenly the brakes started acting up - difficult to describe but with two distinct symtoms:
1) Wooden feeling to brake (especially first serious braking after leaving the car stopped for a while) which when pressed firmly, "gives" to provide normal feeling to the brakes.
2) Intermittently I get similar symtoms to those described above - On relatively light applications of the brakes there is a distinct vibration in the pedal & noise as if the ABS is cutting in.
Having tried it, the ABS still works properly when it really should.
Have been to my dealer who has no idea, I have spoken to another dealer about the pronblem, both have spoken to Subaru UK who claimed not to have heard of such a problem before.
The system has been checked out with the pads being replaced. My next step is to ask them to replace the ABS "chip" if this is possible.
Otherwise - any suggstions before I get them into major component swapping?
Cheers
Jeremy