Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Steering wheel wobble/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2003, 10:12 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I've been suffering from some vibration at around 80mph recently. It's not there all the time, just between 75-85'ish.

I assumed this would just be the wheel balance, so I had them re-balance before I had my Godspeed brakes fitted. I've had some excessive vibration since fitting the Godspeeds, but only when using the brakes or within that speed range.

So off I trotted to my local garage on Saturday morning and asked them to remove all my flush-fitting vales (I suspected a couple were leaking) and have all 4-wheels balanced.

£30 later and the job was done. The bloke said 3 wheels were out by quite some way, so I was expecting a HUGE improvement.

Well, it's fixed it at 80+, but the vibration is bad between 60-75mph now and I even noticed a little around 45mph.

Is this just more balancing problems or can anyone suggest something else that needs to be looked at?

Tracking?
Wheel Bearings?
Steering Rack?

If it's the wheel bearing or steering rack, is there something I can quickly check myself before I spend loads of cash getting a mechanic to crawl all over it?

Stefan
Old 09 June 2003, 01:11 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd get the tracking checked out first mate, probably the cheapest of the 3 I suppose.

Daz.
Old 09 June 2003, 03:45 PM
Glenn Coombs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem. Slight steering wheel vibration between 80 and 90. Had 2 new front tyres a couple of weeks ago and got them to do the tracking at the same time. That reduced the amount of vibration but it was still there.

Just been to Powerstation this weekend and had the bumpsteer mod plus 4 wheel geometry alignment. The steering wheel vibration is now totally gone. And the car goes where you point it (much less understeer on roundabouts)...