Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Please let them fit !

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2003, 01:22 PM
DDM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all...I've got a wicked set of 18inch BK121's with 35's that I kept from my old my95. I now have a my99 with 18's and tryed to swap the wheels over. THE FRONT ONES DON'T FIT Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The brakes on the newer scoobs are bigger and when I put the front wheels on they lock onto the front caliper. Does anyone know exactly what minimum size spacers I need to clear and where the best place is to get them mail-order.
Old 17 April 2003, 01:46 PM
DDM
Scooby Regular

Boing !
Old 22 April 2003, 09:04 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Trouble is with spacers, you may upset the handling also more stress on the studs cause the wheel will be further towards the end of the stud due to the spacers, dodgy ground i think!
Old 24 April 2003, 12:54 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Tricky. 18s are often trouble on a classic.

Rims are usually 7.5 or 8in, giving rubbing at the rear.

Spoke clearance means spacers at the front. Bad idea, but maybe okay if no more than 5mm and you lengthen the studs accordingly. Then the front/rear track is out.

Then there's wheel off-set. Should be between ET48-53.

Be careful and good luck.

Richard.
Old 24 April 2003, 01:20 PM
DDM
Scooby Regular

lengthen the studs accordingly ?? How do I do this ? Do you have to with such a small spacer ?

And as for "Then the front/rear track is out"....would this be the case if I put the 3-5mm spaces all round. Or just on the front and get the tracking re-done ?

There is no rubbing on any of the wheel arches at the mo ! Even when I land 8)

cheers
Darryl.

Old 24 April 2003, 07:29 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
There is one easy way to lengthen your stud, but it won't help here... missus

Truth is, this is going to be a bodge, but it may be an acceptable one if you can keep things like spacers to the minimum (I would not fit them at all personally) but don't compromise on safety. Remember that when cornering hard the wheel moves on the bearings relative to the caliper so you need 2-3mm minimum there to avoid something nasty and/or expensive happening.

You're gonna need spacers in the front to get the wheels on - no choice. This is effectively altering your off-set (distance from centre line of wheel to mounting face) which is also altering your track width (tracking can't change that as it's only alignment adjustment). But what's a few mm - not much in the great scheme of things and even experts argue about what is 'best' for a Scoob.

I would say, if you can get away with a 5mm spacer and you get full clearance at the front - clearance over caliper obviously, but also against the strut, wheel arch, on full lock and full spring compression, then okay. You may be lucky, but prepare for disappointment. Then fit longer studs as you'll be losing several turns of thread while putting extra leverage on them.

At the rear, if they fit, then leave them. But again make sure you get full clearance at all times. If you don't and it's rubbing on the strut then a spacer might help but if it's rubbing on the arch you'll need to get them rolled to gain clearance. If yours is a UK car, there's a plastic protection strip that can be removed to gain those vital extra mm.

There comes a point when all the various compromises and costs make the job marginal. I would say if you need more than a 5mm spacer at the front, forget it.

Take care, mate

Richard.
Old 25 April 2003, 11:28 AM
DDM
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate I'll give it a try.......I'll let you know how it goes.

p.s. It is a MY99

Cheers
Darryl.