Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear Brake Choice / Fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2003, 12:25 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Just after some advice, had the car serviced and they told me the rears are nackered, which i knew, so a New set of Discs and Pads required.

Rather than spend £400 from subaru ive been looking around and it seems the Black Diamond Drilled Discs are a good choice, with some Pads from either Formula or Mintex.

How difficult is it to fit the rear Discs? bearing in mind they were all taken apart and refitted last week on the service. And is the above choice of discs a good one? I will upgrade the fronts when they need changing.

thanks

Leon
Old 16 April 2003, 02:22 PM
Mike Stokes
Scooby Regular

Rear discs are fairly easy to change, just whizz the caliper and carrier off then tap the disc off. Make sure the handbrake is off though, cos the internal drum brake shoes are a PITA. Took about an hour to change mine last week including adjusting the handbrake.

For new discs try http://www.spareshq.co.uk, I ordered mine and received them next day, all for the bargain price of £86 all in. They're EBC standard vented discs on an MY00 Turbo. You might have to ring them though to make sure they send the vented ones, not the solid ones.

HTH

Mike.
Old 16 April 2003, 02:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't changed the rear discs, but the calipers took minutes to take off - just two bolts on the back of the calipers and they swing clear. Use a bungee cable with some hooks to hold the caliper out of the way.

Stefan
Old 17 April 2003, 07:46 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

Talking

looks good, il give them a ring tommorow and see what they say. Are the Discs better than Standard subaru discs would you say? I presume you went for the EBC Green Stuff Pads?

cant argue at that price, only £315 cheaper than subaru wanted!!!

cheers

Leon