Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Sticky rear cailper

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2003, 08:54 AM
screamer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MY00 that appears to have a sticky rear caliper.
Has anyone on the forum tried lubricating the caliper pistons?

Adam
Old 16 April 2003, 12:29 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the symptoms of this? Does it cause a squeak at low speed without applying the brakes. Just curious, 'cos I might have the same problem. Thanks.

[Edited by SlowBoy - 4/16/2003 12:30:56 PM]
Old 16 April 2003, 12:34 PM
Dodge
Scooby Regular

Me too. As somebody pointed out in reply to one of my posts, temporary relief can be gained by left-foot braking whilst slowly reversing. Seems to clear it for a bit, at least.

If anyone gets a better answer, I'm all ears...

Dan.
Old 16 April 2003, 02:00 PM
screamer
Scooby Regular

The symptoms are difficult to describe but recently I changed the pads for some cheap ones (as a stop gap) because the existing had completely worn out and was scraping the disc.

The plan was to use the the car for a couple of weeks until I got around to ordering some new discs and pads. Well a couple of weeks passed and I did buy some EBC discs and pads(not impressed, I should have read the posts here first). When I went to replace the temporary ones on one side of the car the pad was completely wrecked...like it had been exposed to very high temperatures. It had only been on the car 3 weeks. My only explanation for this was it must have been stuck on.

Now with the new pads fitted I'm still concerned the caliper is sticking. The new disc has a blue tint to it and after heavy braking it still sounds like the pad is in contact with the disc.

Old 16 April 2003, 02:11 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Happens all the time on m/bikes, heres what I do, remove pads etc, pull back the rubber gaiter in the piston and have a look inside, if its dirty spary some wd40 and give it a rubbing in with an old toothbrush, dry the wd40 off with a rag, next apply some brake grease to the piston, do not use coppa-slip as this will destroy the seals, the best grease to use is a rubber compatable stuff motorbike shops will sell you small foil packets of this stuff for about a quid. Next if its a sliding body type caliper undo the outer part if possible and carry out the same task to the guides that it slides on. Also check that your h/brake cable is not jamming on anything and holding the brake on. Unfortunately if this doesn't work you'll be looking at a re-furbished caliper.
Hope this helps.