Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Bedding in procedure for AP 6 pots ??

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2003, 11:52 PM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone know the official bedding in procedure for the pads that come with the AP 6 pots ??

They look good, but I want to make sure they stop just as well !!

Dave
Old 28 March 2003, 08:07 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
if this is a new kit you need to bed the discs in at the same time........light stops gradually increasing in pressure over the first 100miles or so should assist with long life of discs/pads!!
alyn - as performance
Old 28 March 2003, 08:30 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

There should be some running in instructions with the kit. IIRC, it's something like, 10 hard stops from 70 out of the box and then some gentle use for x hundred miles.

Don't quote me on that but I remember being surprised by the procedure. Someone on here should know.....

Matt
Old 29 March 2003, 02:53 PM
scooby-dooby
Scooby Regular

Matts right you should have got bedding in instructions with the brake kit cos I did but I can't remember how to do it. Contact the people you got the kit from or phone AP, I'm sure they will tell you or give you the sheet that has the instructions on them.
Old 30 March 2003, 09:19 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The official company line on this from AP Racing is:-

Brake Disc Bedding

All cast iron brake discs need to be bedded-in to ensure heat stabilisation and improve resistance to cracking. Cracks or even disc failure can occur during the first few heavy stops if careful bedding is not carried out. AP Racing recommend the following procedure:-

ROAD CAR DISC BRAKE BEDDING IN PROCEDURE
Bedding the disc from new or stress relieving the cast iron disc after it has been clamped to the mounting bell is of paramount importance if premature warping is to be avoided after the brakes are used to their full potential.

For road car installations the process needs to be as follows:-
For the first 10 miles, light braking from 50/60 mph down to 30 mph if possible in blocks of 5.

Do not attempt any high-speed stops down to zero at this point, as only the faces will heat up with the mass remaining cool along with the mounting area.

For the next 100 miles increase the braking pressures similar to stopping in traffic, again avoiding if possible full stops from above 70 mph. By now the area around the mounting bolts should be a light blue temper colour. This is a good indication that the correct heat soak has been achieved.

For the next 100 miles gradually increase the braking effort after this full power stops can be used. The disc should now be an even dark to light blue temper colour, depending on the pad type and the braking effort being used during the process. This process must be completed before any race circuit use.
If used at a Track day the following points must be adhered to so as not to warp the disc.

At the start of a session use a minimum of one warming up lap for the brakes i.e. gradually increase the effort at each corner and do not drag the brakes under power as in left foot braking.

Use at least one cooling down lap at the end of the session and if possible stay off the brakes.

Do not leave your foot on the brake when parked in the paddock after a track session. If you do, the hot spot created by the pad can distort the disc in that localized area causing a high spot, resulting in vibration under braking.

On the majority of car installations, race circuit use can be more exacting on the brake system than a fully prepared race car due to the following:-

None or minimal cooling, increased chassis weight, longer braking distances due to driving technique or tyre grip.
Therefore it is very important to check your brake system thoroughly after such use. Bear in mind race cars on average cover less than 50 laps of a circuit before being serviced.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT DISCS USED ON RACE TRACKS WILL BE SUBJECT TO HIGHER TEMPERATURES AND WEAR RATES THAN ACHIEVED WITH NORMAL ROAD USE. THIS CAN HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE LIFE OF THE DISC, ESPECIALLY IF HIGH TORQUE COMPETITION PADS ARE USED TO REPLACE THE ORIGINAL FAST ROAD TYPES SUPPLIED WITH THE KIT.
DISCS ALONG WITH PADS ARE CONSUMABLE ITEMS.

Mike
Scooby Mania
Old 31 March 2003, 07:39 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

What about pad bedding in Mike?

Matt
Old 31 March 2003, 10:05 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why do my pads (2500) squeek when I do slow stops in traffic? really annoying, especially since in Jersey that is all I do!

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2003, 11:12 AM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks guys, I was fairly sure there was a specific procedure, but couldn't find the sheet anywhere !!

Sorry to hear about your squeeky brakes Christian. Had the same problems with mintex pads, although it did go away once I'd used them for a while. I'm fairly sure hard, high speed stops helped, but don't want you to fall off the island !!

Dave

Old 31 March 2003, 01:15 PM
hammy
Scooby Regular

As Alyn stated, if its a new kit both the pad and disc have to be bedded in. The following is what I use for DS2500 pads, other compounds do vary, but will be ok for the majority of fast road pads.

Disc and Pad Bedding:
Hard braking should not be applied until both pads and discs are fully bedded-in following these procedures.
For 20 miles use brakes gently at first from initially low speeds but still using gentle applications. During the next 100 miles, use moderate brake applications, avoid braking from excessive speeds. Build the braking effort and vehicle speed gradually over the next 50 miles, avoid braking to zero from excessive speeds. After the above, when the disc contact areas have been polished (removal of the machining finish) the brakes are ready for full use.

These maybe of use in the future.

Pad only Bedding:
During the first 100 miles, bed the pad contact areas by using moderate brake applications, avoid braking from excessive speeds.
Build the braking effort and vehicle speed gradually over the next 50 miles, avoid braking to zero from excessive speeds.

Disc only Bedding:
For at least 20 miles use brakes gently at first from initially low speeds but still using gentle applications. For the final 2 or 3 applications brakes can be used quite heavily. After doing this and when the pad contact surface of the disc faces have been polished (removal of the machining finish) the discs are ready for full use.

This is only what I use, but seems to get the most life out of both disc and pad. Take the time to bed and then abuse!
Hope you enjoy ya AP 6's

[Edited by hammy - 3/31/2003 2:30:11 PM]