Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brakes for a MY98.

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2003, 03:22 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Probably been asked before on here, but any thoughts will be gratefully received.

Whilst out in my Terzo I had a bit of a 'moment' which, once I sorted out my underwear, got me thinking about new brakes. As much as I'd love to uprate the system, however, due to constraints on my insurance policy I cannot uprate the car at all. Therefore, can anyone think what I can do to make the brakes better using only standard parts ??

Before anyone suggests getting non-standard parts and not telling the insurance company, forget it, as it's not an option.

Cheers,

Ed
Old 18 March 2003, 04:22 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Do you mean not changing from OE disks and pads?

The only thing you can do then is put the best fluid in available, and buy the best performing tyre around.

OE disks are vented but not grooved, there are better performing group N disks you can get that look identical, and much better pads available. For example Subaru stock DS2500 which are much better than std, but its hardly aftermarket.

Justin
Old 18 March 2003, 08:55 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
if you want to keep the "stealth" theme then we do proper "grpN" discs (v.high quality, high friction PLAIN discs) that with the right pads......Pagid rs4.2.1., rs4.2 or ds2500 will make a good improvement over std...
alyn - as performance
Old 20 March 2003, 10:23 AM
Carlos-Fandango
Scooby Regular

Tried posting this before but my computer crashed!!!

Why not fit subaru standard 4-pot brakes from the my00 car. They are bigger and are 4-pots opposed to 2-pots and are a whole lots better. but they are original scooby parts, have plain discs and even have subaru written on the calipers. They are a direct fit (as long as your wheels fit over them).
It would have to be a very very keen insurance inspecter that would know the difference of what the calipers look like on the different models and the different years.

It is just a suggestion but was what i was going to do with my 98 until i got a 00 anyway.

Cheers Carlos

ps by the way I have a set of subaru 4-pots, calipers, disks, pads and hoses that have only done about 8K. they are hardly worn.... pads still good and disks not lipped or excessively scored etc etc.
Mail me if you are interested.
Old 20 March 2003, 10:49 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

I have the same car, and agree with your brake comment.
HOWEVER, when I approached my insurance company for advice before fitting Godspeed 335 mm kits, they were delighted that I was upgrading the brakes, and no extra charge on my premium.
Have you actually spoken to them?
If not, try asking about the Subaru 4-pot option.
Alcazar
Old 20 March 2003, 09:12 PM
Duracell
Scooby Regular

Ed,

I fitted 4pot calipers & discs that i aquired from someone off a P1 & fitted them to my Terzo no probs also fit behind 18"wheels too.

Noticed some improvement but will eventually put better discs & pads on when pads wear out,at least now have 4pot calipers,so can recommend this.

A good guy to speak to is Roger at FRICTION MOTORSPORT 01474 560031

Hope this helps...Duracell