Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre advice - mixing F1 GSD02'S with GSD03'S

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 08:53 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks,

I'm just about to fit some new f1 eagles today and wanted your opinions on the best option for mixing GSD03's with GSD02's.

Ive got 2 part worn ( about 1k miles ) GSD02's and have ordered to new GSD03's assuming that the grip level is similar. What would recommend on what axle?

GSD03's on the front so they wear down / scrub in similar to the part worn 02's, thus leveling any difference in grip over a period of time.

or

GSD03's on the rear ( assuming they are better than the 02's ) to ensure there is better grip there and avoid any "Hello hedge" moments.

Im not too concerned about reducing the understeer as TSL have recently fitted Eibachs, powerflex anti-rollbar bushes + geometry setup which has dialed most of this out.

Any inputs ( before 11.30 today ) would be much appreciated.

Ta very much
Rich

[Edited by Richardw - 3/5/2003 8:54:41 AM because my written english is pnats
]

[Edited by Richardw - 3/5/2003 8:55:53 AM]
Old 05 March 2003, 10:57 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chris.

If you can dig it out that would be great, I can always swap the backs to the fronts after fitting even though they are directional.

Ta
Rich
Old 05 March 2003, 06:33 PM
Jon H
Scooby Regular

I've just had gsd03's put on the front and kept the gsd02's on the rear - since i've had serious steering wheel wobble at motorway speeds. Its so bad that the whole car vibrates! I've had the front wheels balanced 4 times now with various companies and it's still doing the same.
Could this be due to mixing tyres?!
Any help appreciated!
Jon
Old 05 March 2003, 07:42 PM
ChrisB

Found the e-mail. Many thanks again to STi-Steve who comes to out Midlands meets for getting me this info (hope I remebered his username properly!).

General

As a matter of general information, it not recommended to change the front axle while keeping original set on rear axle. It is recommended to rotate tyres regularly and provide similar wear levels on both axles, this provides for better stability of the vehicle.

Dry conditions

Eagle F1GS-D3 provide an overall improvement in Dry handling performance of approximatelly 2% (pending size, car and surface) over the Eagle F1 GS-D2. Considering the natural understeer characteristics which most vehicles have today (even on rear wheel drive), balance of the vehicles will not be greatly affect by maintaining old set on rear axle.

Wet Conditions

Eagle F1 GS-D3 provides an overall aquaplaning and wet grip improvement of approximatelly 3% up to 7% (pending size, car and surface) over the Eagle F1 GS-D2. If you now consider adding to this difference the wear effect of the original set of Eagle F1 GS-D2, this difference will increase further. Driving a 4WD which is supposed to have a neutral behaviour (not always the case - vehicule dependant eg: VW Golf Synchro), the tyre contribution can
generate unstability and can result in oversteer behaviour. By placing the worn Eagle F1 GS-D2 set in front position, this will increase the natural tendency of understeer which most vehicles have today (even on rear wheel drive). This position is the safest and recommended configuration.

Conclusion

As wet conditions are the most critical driving conditions it is
recommended to adopt tyre position for wet driving conditions.
Old 05 March 2003, 08:04 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have the Goodyear GDS03s on the front and GDS?02s on the rear having gone from Bridgestones SO2s which were the dogs. I also have the bumpsteer mod and have relied on the best grip at the front to cope with the sharper turn in. I have only had one instance on a wet and greasy roundabout where the back end started to stray but it was predictable and controlable.

I would suggest that there is so little in it, that tyre pressures would probably be more important but the ideal, of course is four of the same all round and regularly rotated.

Cheeers

Jerome
Old 06 March 2003, 09:33 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Cheers for your advice folks. I just had the 3's put on the front to try and bring the wear in line - over a period of time - with the part used 02's on the rear ..Not had a chance to go for decent drive as yet so I'll check this over the next few days. Its booked for a service on Sat so can always get them to change these around.

Incidently, Bracknell Tyre and Battery seem to be the cheapest in the country for GSD03's...I just paid £183 all in for 2 and this also included fitting my own 2 rears...bargain! ( I think they were 78 fitted without tax )

Old 06 March 2003, 10:31 AM
STiSteve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey chris
I thought it was only me that kept e mails that long , mind you after the ammount of time it took to get the info maybe we should have framed it

Hope you are well.

Cheers steve
Old 06 March 2003, 10:47 AM
ChrisB

Ahh, the man himself!

I filled it away for future reference

We never did get that Chinese - have to see who's up for it again Steve.
Old 06 March 2003, 12:50 PM
STiSteve
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Chris,
Yep we need to do something soon not too long now and it will be light enough for an evening meet

Steve
Old 03 May 2003, 10:51 AM
ChrisB

Richard,

Somewhere in my e-mail at home I have an answer from Goodyear in Belgium about this very subject.

Hopefully I'll remember to dig it out tonight.

Edit to say... sorry, won't be before 11.30am but IIRC their thoughts were that it would be okay.

Chris.

[Edited by ChrisB - 3/5/2003 10:51:36 AM]