Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Damaged one tyre - replace how many?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 03:36 PM
sensemagic
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I hope this isn't a FAQ - I've searched the web and can't find anything relevant.

Basically, I've accidentally damaged the rear left tyre on my WRX. I was reversing into a car park, and went diagonally into a small ledge that I hadn't seen, gouging a fairly deep chunk out of the sidewall. (Thankfully the alloy was not damaged.)

I can't see any metal through the hole, but I worry that I should replace this tyre anyway. So I'm wondering:

1) Should I replace this tyre? I guess "yes" to this.

2) Should I replace both back tyres?

3) Should I replace all four tyres?

My car has only 8900 miles on the clock, all on the original tyres, and I've not been driving THAT hard.

Any suggestions appreciated, as I'm still driving about like this, and don't want a blowout.

Many thanks,
Philip.
Old 07 January 2003, 03:38 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
only replace the tyres that need replacing. There is no need to change ones that are ok. Hope that helps
Old 07 January 2003, 03:55 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Unless you can get hold of a tyre of exactly the same type with similar wear - replace all 4.

I made the mistake of replacing a pair after a blow out and learnt the hard way

Everything is fine 99.9% of the time, but when you reach the limit, one set let go whilst the others still grip. It transforms the handling from progressive, to much more snappy because of this. Once you know and accept that fact, you can never really trust the car at speed........

If you're running on the original tyres, you should replace them anyway - Toyo's or F1's are way better anyway
Old 07 January 2003, 04:04 PM
gremlin
Scooby Regular

if you only replace the two rear tyres will that not put undue stress on the center dif by having two different rolling diameters?
Old 07 January 2003, 04:05 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I had a ****** put a screwdriver through a rear tyre when I was in France last year. The car was recovered to a Subaru dealer as neither the recovery truck driver nor myself could undo the wheel nuts. The French dealer said they should replace both rear tyres.

When I claimed on the insurance for the other damage done by the ******* as well as for the two tyres Direct Line said that their engineers said it was only necessary to do one so thats all they were paying for.

I spoke to my local dealer who checked the Subaru book, and reported back it was silent on the matter. However he said that the book used to say one should replace at least the pair and consider replacing all 4. Apparently the problem is that the differential can get wound up if you have different tread thicknesses on the same axle. Subaru may not like a claim under the warranty if this happens!

Chris
Old 07 January 2003, 04:06 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Smile

IIRC it was only Vauxhall Cav turbos that suffered from that ! A very sensitive centre diff !

Actually - I'd probably replace a pair if I could get the same tread pattern.
Old 07 January 2003, 04:09 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Question

Surely the diff's must be robust enough to take account of different tread thicknesses.

If your geometry is out then you get uneven tyre wear and might not see it or be made aware of this until service?

Damian.
Old 07 January 2003, 05:04 PM
sensemagic
Scooby Newbie

Based on all the responses (thanks!), I'm probably going to replace all four.

I'm thinking of Toyos, F1s, or S03s, based on replies here and in other threads. I'm sure this has probably been done to death before, but any opinions on this? My car is an STI7, so I'll need 225/45/17s.

Thanks again,
Philip.
Old 07 January 2003, 05:04 PM
ukhuskynox
Scooby Regular

I'd like an answer to this as well, the fronts are knackered on my UK300, do i replace all four or just the fronts ??

andyjd
Old 07 January 2003, 06:31 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

If you have the money replace all four, as it is safer, and sell the part worn backs on Scoobynet.
Or replace the backs and put the half worn old backs on the front. This will make the back have more grip and the car will more likely understeer than oversteer, which I think is safer when pushing it down B roads... Oversteer is more fun though ;-)

Steve
Old 07 January 2003, 07:39 PM
Sparky1066
Scooby Regular

Just replace the one, preferably with the same tyre as damaged, but if not, no worries, the diff will compensate for this, and lets face it, your not doing Colin McRae style antics!
Old 08 January 2003, 07:21 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I damaged one and replaced the two on the same axle. Im sure there cant be that much difference that would cause damage to the diffs.