Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

BIG brakes = need new suspension too???

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2002, 01:15 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If I upgrade my front brakes to 6 pots does it mean that I also need to upgrade the suspension (so that it can cope with more Gs)?

What would be a better upgrade to do first to enjoy the Scooby more: brakes or suspension?

Thanks for sharing your experience here!
Old 28 December 2002, 02:11 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Priviet!

Do the brakes mate - suspension mods are suggested for cars with large diameter low profile wheels, or for track. I really think the standard setup is pretty good for road driving and keeping your fillings in

Baca

D
Old 28 December 2002, 02:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go for the the big brakes and a set of Eibachs, works well on my car!
Old 28 December 2002, 03:30 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

what kind of car do you have?

if it is a MY98 UK or earlier,I would do the brakes and Eibachs.if the car is MY99 or newer I would forget the Eibachs imo.

edit to say after driving a ap 4 pot car recently(305mm),I think this is more than enough for the scoob.

[Edited by T-uk - 12/28/2002 3:32:30 PM]
Old 28 December 2002, 05:16 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

You'll be fine just doing the brakes

One thing to think about is that by improving your suspension you can make better use of the brakes you already have, less dive and stuff
Old 29 December 2002, 02:20 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys! (and privet to Diesel! )

I am very keen on bigger brakes. The car is UK MY00 currently on std disks and DS2500 pads -- which is much better than the std set up BUT I want much better bite and decceleration (sp?) rate for more confident late braking (mainly for enthusiastic road driving; don't do track days at the mo).

The reason I asked about the suspension mods because I read here that when you upgrade the brakes the std suspension can't cope and get very strong dive and the back becomes unstable.

At the same time I want to improve turn in and reduce understeer, so upgrading suspension sounds like killing two birds with one stone. Or not?

I saw the PSS9 adjustable kit advertised in the last evo for £800ish, but them read some horror stories on this board about people not being happy and taking it off because they felt unsafe with it and had to drive slower (too stiff for bumpy roads or something like that).

Any thoughts / suggestions from your experience?

Cheers!
Old 29 December 2002, 06:00 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I can't comment on Scoob supension as I don't have one but.... On my Fiesta during heavy braking, the back end would go really light and wag around, the front would also, sometimes seem to struggle I then fitted some lowered springs which improved handling but to my surprise also really improved the braking! Since then I've fitted a new kit, dampers and springs and things are better again! You really do feel to have more confidence in your brakes... I've driven other cars like mine and noticed the difference imediately!

It's difficult to say how you'll find a new suspension set up. Manafacturers have to compromise and offer a set up which is suitable to all conditions. A really stiff set up will be awesome for smooth, dry roads but come the rain and it'll be pants, like wise it prolly won't be much use on a bumpy road! My certainly isn't as good on rough stuff now but you learn to drive round problems, put it this way, I wouldn't go back to my original suspension. (mainly cos it got chucked out[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img])

Best of luck

[Edited by BOB.T - 12/29/2002 6:02:33 PM]
Old 29 December 2002, 11:47 PM
DPJef
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm not an engineer, but I've read that good braking is more than just slapping on bigger rotors and pistons. Tires are very important too.
Old 30 December 2002, 11:44 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Brakes and suspension are directly linked. You really should do both together. You need to consider brake balance carefully, too.

If you get it all wrong, your big front brakes will make the car nose-dive and the unweighted rears will trigger the ABS, so you'll have gained nothing

Richard.
Old 31 December 2002, 12:46 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Hoppy,
Thanks for your advice. So what suspension mod do you recommend to achieve this? Full adjustable kit or is there a simpler one?
Old 31 December 2002, 04:39 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Sub, YHM.

There are lots of options and none of them perfect (vehicle dynamics is incredibly complex and I know FA) but I am ordering Ledas because a) they are adjustable for road or track, b) Pete Croney helped develop them specifically for Imprezas and he knows a bit, c) they are expensive (£1,400-ish fitted etc) but good quality and can be reconditioned, d) Leda are not too far away from me (or you), e) Pete and Leda are very helpful and have masses of experience with Scoobs - settings, geometry, whatever, so just ask.

Cheers,

Richard.

PS Don't forget your ScoobyShop membership discount